FIOS G1100 Firmware Update
BITS011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a FIOS G110o gateway from ebay which works perfectly but I am not getting updates from Verizon. The part of the reason I believe is its a frontier gateway router. I tried to apply the update via http://192.168.1.1/#/advanced/fwupgrade  after downloading the firmware file from https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/open-source-software.

As soon as I upload the file it shows busy cursor for couple of seconds and then nothing happens. Please suggest if there are any other possible solutions

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS G1100 Firmware Update
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no ability for a user to flash Verizon routers.  All firmware updates are pushed from the Verizon infrastructure.  Even if you could build an image, you can't load it.

Further, you can't build an image.  The publicly available code is the open source code in the router.  There most likely is proprietary code in the image as well, such as for the various network hardware blocks.  Any proprietary code isn't in the tarball.  I suspect there are security certificates in the image used for TR-069 and similar.  The SoC may also use a secure boot process, which means the image needs to be digitally signed.  If you don't have the public key for the digital signature, you can't make a bootable image.  I doubt Verizon makes the public key, well, public.

I could be wrong about this, but from what I've seen the publicly available code is missing a lot of pieces.  If you're able to figure out how to build an image and flash it without going through Verizon's servers you'll be the darling of the router hacking world.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what updates you are expecting. Verizon has not had very many updates.

what version are you running?

jonjones1
Legend

@BITS01 wrote:

I have a FIOS G110o gateway from ebay which works perfectly but I am not getting updates from Verizon. The part of the reason I believe is its a frontier gateway router. I tried to apply the update via http://192.168.1.1/#/advanced/fwupgrade  after downloading the firmware file from https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/open-source-software.

As soon as I upload the file it shows busy cursor for couple of seconds and then nothing happens. Please suggest if there are any other possible solutions

Like I told a poster recently the Frontier versions are problematic. Although a bargain on eBay and elsewhere they really are not compatible since Frontier took over many Verizon markets.

BITS011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the information! The only option I have not tried is to disconnect it from internet and apply the update via ethernet cable.

0 Likes
BITS011
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Firmware Version 01.03.01.12. The hardware version is 1.03. Physical Connection Type Is Coax.The sticker on router says it’s Verizon but all the branding on the login page is frontiers

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like someone just put a Verizon sticker on a Frontier router and tried to sell it as Verizon. Too late to return it?

BITS011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I tried the manual update after disconnecting the router from internet, and uploading the file bhr4_release_01_04_00_12.tar via ethernet cable. After 50% upload the page displays invalid firmware. I am trying to salvage it, Ebay has been very graciuos and has initiated a return! Now its just the zeal to heal !

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Sounds like someone just put a Verizon sticker on a Frontier router and tried to sell it as Verizon. Too late to return it?

Well keep in mind so, some customers kept Verizon equipment when the change happened. It might have Verizon stickers on it in that case, but would have received a firmware update to ensure it worked with Frontier. I would believe it's highly possible they sold it since in their area, Verizon is not around.

BITS011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I talked to the technical support and they gave a very non unconvicing reason. The reason they dont are not sending the update is - Its 100 MBPS connection and 01_04_00_12 is only needed for connection above 300MBPS. I still believe Verizon Technical Support would have supplied the correct update file  I would have manually updated the G1100 gateway! This seems like a dead end, time to return and buy the replacement!

0 Likes
slackjaw3

you cannot flash a TAR file.

That is a source code for firmware

It needs to be compiled into a firmware file that you can then flash

0 Likes