FIOS-G1100 behind another router has no internet connection
haoudoin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have a in-wall media cabinet that allows me to run cat5 cables to multiple rooms.  I've managed to get internet connection working by connecting the ONT box to the my personal router (Ubiquity EdgeRouter X). 

As I understand it from reading the posts, I need to keep using the G1100 in order to keep my STB working with guides, on demand, DVR, etc... 

So, the current setup I'd like to achieve is the following:

ONT Box -> EdgeRouter X -> G1100

ONT Box connected to the WAN port of the EdgeRouter X.  The G1100's WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the EdgeRouter X.

I'd still like to use the G1100 to provide internet to the other devices either through the LAN ports or Wifi.  The problem I am running into is that devices connected to the G1100 cannot access the internet.  What am I missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS-G1100 behind another router has no internet connection
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. Seems like your G1100 has multiple configuration problems.

1. Edge LAN and G1100 LAN are not on the same network segment.

This is due to you connected Edge <LAN--WAN> G1100. You need to change the ethernet cable to Edge <LAN--LAN> G1100. LAN ports on G1100 are now switched with the uplink Edge port.

You would better disable the Broadband function on G1100. Go to the Web Configuration Interface, My Networks -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) -> Disable.image

2. G1100's underlying devices cannot access the Internet.

This is due to your G1100's DHCP server is not disabled. G1100 still hands out IP addresses and DNS address (it's own IP address). To disable the DHCP server, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution -> Network (Home/Office) -> IP Address Distribution: Disabled.

After configuration, please let me know if you resolved the problems.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are some questions for you. Do you want all of your devices on the same network segment? You have the WAN of G1100 uplinked to a LAN of Edge Router. This will create a quasi-firewall between the LAN of the Edge and the LAN of the G1100.

Are the IP addresses of the Edge and G1100 the same? Can your devices on G1100 access the Edge’s LAN? Is the DNS not working or the routing itself?

The STB uses MoCA LAN, so as long as the G1100 is on, it should work. You might need to find the existing port forwarding rules for the STB on G1100, and duplicate them on the Edge, so Verizon’s upstream can talk to the STB.

haoudoin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding!

My apologies as I should have provided more info on my needs.  To start, I am trying to use the EdgeRouter to provide internet to the the rooms wired with cat5.  So the EdgeRouter is the first point the ONT hits.  Since I am not yet able to phase out the G1100 due to the MoCA dependency, I still wish to use the G1100 to provide internet to streaming devices out in the living room.  It will also serve as a Wifi AP.  For other rooms, I plan on using other routers or switches.

To answer your questions:

Do you want all of your devices on the same network segment? You have the WAN of G1100 uplinked to a LAN of Edge Router. This will create a quasi-firewall between the LAN of the Edge and the LAN of the G1100.

Yes, I would like all devices in the entire household to be in the same network segment.  For example, my mobile devices connected the the Wifi on the G1100 can AirPlay while in the bedroom with an AppleTV connected directly to the EdgeRouter via a network switch.  My networking skills are not at 100%, how can I correct this?

Are the IP addresses of the Edge and G1100 the same?

Nope.  To access the Edge GUI, I use https://198.168.1.1 and I’ve changed the G1100 IP so that devices connected to the G1100 can access the GUI via https://192.168.1.2

Can your devices on G1100 access the Edge’s LAN?

No, they cannot.  I’ve tried accessing https://192.168.1.1 via a computer connected to the G1100 and is unable to reach it.

Is the DNS not working or the routing itself?

Not entirely sure I understand this question, but I’ll try my best.  A laptop connected to the EdgeRouter is able to go to www.google.com.  Another computer connected to the G1100 is unable to reach www.google.com.

To summarize, while I am able to confirm connectivity to the internet by directly connecting to the EdgeRouter, devices connected connected to G1100 is unable to reach the internet.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. Seems like your G1100 has multiple configuration problems.

1. Edge LAN and G1100 LAN are not on the same network segment.

This is due to you connected Edge <LAN--WAN> G1100. You need to change the ethernet cable to Edge <LAN--LAN> G1100. LAN ports on G1100 are now switched with the uplink Edge port.

You would better disable the Broadband function on G1100. Go to the Web Configuration Interface, My Networks -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) -> Disable.image

2. G1100's underlying devices cannot access the Internet.

This is due to your G1100's DHCP server is not disabled. G1100 still hands out IP addresses and DNS address (it's own IP address). To disable the DHCP server, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution -> Network (Home/Office) -> IP Address Distribution: Disabled.

After configuration, please let me know if you resolved the problems.

haoudoin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!  Your instructions worked.