FIOS, MoCA, and a Killer 2100 Network Adapter Conflict?
illumin8ed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I recently built a new gaming PC with a "Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2" motherboard.  The motherboard includes a "Bigfoot Networks Killer e2100 Gaming Network Platform" which is an onboard network adapter and special software combination that prioritizes different connections to supposedly increase internet connection performance while gaming.  It turns out, there is some type of conflict with this system and FIOS.

PROBLEM:

While trying to play the game "Battlefield 3", it sometimes has trouble connecting to a server, and when you do finally connect to a server the game will play fine for about 5 minutes, but then start to get really laggy, then you will lose connection to the server, and the game will shut down.  

CAUSE:

After isolating the cause of the problem, I found the sole cause of the issue was with the Killer 2100 network adapter and the Bigfoot Networks Killer Network Manager software.  In the software you can choose which applications on your computer have priority over the network, and obviously games like "Battlefield 3" are set to priority 1 (Highest).   The quickest way to remedy the problem is to LOWER the priority of the game to priority 2 (High), or priority 3 (Normal), and the game will connect perfectly, and play perfectly, and the problem is gone.

SOLUTION?

Since I see no point in having such a "Killer" system if you have to reduce the priority of a game just to get it to work, I contacted "Qualcomm Atheros" the makers of this "Killer" network adapter and software to see if they have a solution.  It turns out that everyone with Versizon FIOS has this issue with their hardware and software, and there isn't really a fix (yet), only workarounds...  Here is what they said after I told them I have Verizon FIOS:

That's what I suspected. There is an issue between Verizon's hardware and our
prioritization software.

While there is not actually a fix (which seems it must be done on Verizon's side),
there are a couple of workarounds.

First, we haven't tested this in-house because Verizon does not offer service here,
but customers tell me if you disable the coax on the Verizon box, it will work. This
does mean, however, that you won't be able to watch TV. So if you have television
service through Verizon, this isn't a great option.

Two, you could get any other standard router, like a Cisco or D-Link or something,
and place it between your computer and the Verizon box. This should allow the
Verizon box to accept the prioritized packets and alleviate the issue. Downside is
you have to procure a router.

Or Third, you should be able to go into the Killer Network Manager software and set
your games to Priority 2 under the Applications tab. This should stop the
disconnects, but bear in mind that it also disabled offload and is no longer top
priority traffic. It still gains some benefit from the Killer, but not 100%.

Sorry there's not a better fix, but these are the options we currently have.

Regards,

Ethan
Tech Support Engineer
Qualcomm Atheros

After reading their community forums, some members claim that the "MoCA" system in the router is somehow conflicting with the Killer Network Manager's prioritize method, and the the only way to fix it is to disable the COAX connection (which handles the MoCA for all the Set-Top Boxes) which will also remove TV Guide and VOD services.   Or, add another router as a middle-man... or just bite your loses and reduce the priority of the application.   All of which is disappointing to me....

I just wanted to ask you all, or any professionals out there with more knowledge of the MoCA system than I...  What's going on here? How would the MoCA system conflict with my internet connection, or this prioritize method from Killer Networks Manager?  Is there some setting on my Westell 9100EM that could resolve this conflict?  Is there maybe another fix / workaround?  

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS, MoCA, and a Killer 2100 Network Adapter Conflict?
illumin8ed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind this post...  The problem has been fixed with the latest drivers and software for the network card.  It seems both the NIC manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer have their latest driver and software listed under Window 8, and not Windows 7.    After installing the Windows 8 driver on my Windows 7, it fixed the issue. 

Some reason Killergaming.com (the manufacture) doesn't even have Windows 8 as a selectable option, so you can only select Windows 7 and get the old broken driver (6.1.0.310).   At Gigabytes website, if you select Windows 7, it wants you to download the old broken driver too.   However, if you select Windows 8 at Gigabytes website, it will allow you to download the newest driver that fixes the issues (6.1.0.403).  The Windows 8 driver and software work flawlessly on  Windows 7.  So this topic is resolved.

View solution in original post

illumin8ed
Enthusiast - Level 2

After doing a search, I found this older topic:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Killer-2100-network-gaming-card-kicking-while-playing-Bad...

Seem there is a bit more info within it about UDP Offloading....  I guess this is still an issue?

0 Likes
illumin8ed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind this post...  The problem has been fixed with the latest drivers and software for the network card.  It seems both the NIC manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer have their latest driver and software listed under Window 8, and not Windows 7.    After installing the Windows 8 driver on my Windows 7, it fixed the issue. 

Some reason Killergaming.com (the manufacture) doesn't even have Windows 8 as a selectable option, so you can only select Windows 7 and get the old broken driver (6.1.0.310).   At Gigabytes website, if you select Windows 7, it wants you to download the old broken driver too.   However, if you select Windows 8 at Gigabytes website, it will allow you to download the newest driver that fixes the issues (6.1.0.403).  The Windows 8 driver and software work flawlessly on  Windows 7.  So this topic is resolved.

andyliumd

before you draw your conclusion, bring up your bigfoot network manager and go to the network option.

and see if it show bad network connection when you check network connection 

I am asking this is becasue you might have gotten flawed version where application control does not work, thus, priority setting is useless and wont cause conflict.

0 Likes