FIOS Mobile; unable to log in
Patrick74
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been trying to log in using my iPhone or iPad for a couple of days. I get an invalid password message, and am routed back to a Safari page to enter a PIN and new password. Then the new password will not work either.

I tried deleting the app, and re-installing. But that has the same issue.

I went to the Widgets page on the television, but there isn't a place to insert the PIN. The device sends me to a safari page where I am asked to have a new PIN sent, then I wind up with invalid password again.

I have not used either the iPad or iPhone for a few months to access FIOS Mobile, but it has worked in the past.

Sending an e-mail to support results in a response that tellls me how to find my User ID, which isn't helpful. I am using the correct ID.

How do I regain the FIOS function on these devices?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Mobile; unable to log in
Greyflight
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was running into the same issue. I use a password manager that generates very long random passwords, which I used to set my initial password. When I setup my account, I used a 30 character password and everything went through fine without any warnings. Then when I couldn't login to the mobile app I thought of a common problem in account management systems I've run into elsewhere... The problem is, Verizon allows you to create your account with a 30 character password, but their actual password length limit is 20 characters. They don't warn you if you use a longer one. Then their system just truncates your password without warning. So you end up thinking your 21+ character password is the actual password when really it's only the first 20 characters. The mobile app lets you paste in the password that's too long without limiting the characters, so it was comparing my 30 character password with the 20 character one in their database. It failed of course. I only found this out when I went to change my password on My Verizon and it mentioned the 20 character limit. I updated my password with one that's proper length and then I was able to login to the mobile app no problem. 

If none of this applies to you, another thing is that Verizon seems to not allow certain special characters. Not sure what they are, but I had to generate a password with only letters and numbers to get it working. They don't warn you about that either and it seems some of their login screens will respect the characters and others just say you have an invalid password.

It's just careless account management on Verizon's part. 

I'm not sure this will help you, but on the off chance that it does, good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both iPad 2 and iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2

FiOS Mobile Version 3.1.1

just checked out connection using iPad

No problem.

Can you sign on to your VZ Account with other type of PC ?

0 Likes
Patrick74
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I am using a Windows based machine now and it works fine.

On the phone however, I enter the same User ID and password. I'm even careful to copy and paste the same password from the Windows machine over to the iPhone to make certain that there is no error.

The pictures that follow are the result. Eventually, I get locked out and need to request a PIN. When this happens, the Windows machine is also locked out.

Is there a separate password for FiOS Mobile? I do not see how that could be possible, but there does not appear to be anything that I am doing incorrectly.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would recommend making sure the keyboard is not autocorrecting your password or adding additional punctuation/spaces to the password. The Samsung keyboard on Android phones tends to be nutorious for this, and the problem may exist in the iOS keyboard or custom keyboard you use, too.

0 Likes
Patrick74
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I understand that.
However the passcode is cut and pasted from the original that I use on Windows. I just went through the entire re-set password routine and cut/pasted again.

So, no it isn't the autocorrect.

I was careful to check the ID as well. That was not changed either.

Somehow, I am able to log in the MyVerizon on the phone but not to FiOS Mobile.

I tried re-registering the phone. That just led back into the same circle once again.

0 Likes
Patrick74
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe what I shall try next is to De-Authorize the devices. Then re-authorize.

If that does not work I suppose I'll need to call tech support. There does not appear to be any other solution.

0 Likes
Greyflight
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was running into the same issue. I use a password manager that generates very long random passwords, which I used to set my initial password. When I setup my account, I used a 30 character password and everything went through fine without any warnings. Then when I couldn't login to the mobile app I thought of a common problem in account management systems I've run into elsewhere... The problem is, Verizon allows you to create your account with a 30 character password, but their actual password length limit is 20 characters. They don't warn you if you use a longer one. Then their system just truncates your password without warning. So you end up thinking your 21+ character password is the actual password when really it's only the first 20 characters. The mobile app lets you paste in the password that's too long without limiting the characters, so it was comparing my 30 character password with the 20 character one in their database. It failed of course. I only found this out when I went to change my password on My Verizon and it mentioned the 20 character limit. I updated my password with one that's proper length and then I was able to login to the mobile app no problem. 

If none of this applies to you, another thing is that Verizon seems to not allow certain special characters. Not sure what they are, but I had to generate a password with only letters and numbers to get it working. They don't warn you about that either and it seems some of their login screens will respect the characters and others just say you have an invalid password.

It's just careless account management on Verizon's part. 

I'm not sure this will help you, but on the off chance that it does, good luck.

0 Likes
stiphreak
stiphreak

Greyflight is 100% spot on. It's amazing how long this has been an issue and hasn't been fixed. All of these big conglomerates suffer from the same issues. Extremely obvious bugs and horrible support.

How many years does it take a vastly too-large-for-its-own-good corporation to fix a simple account bug? My lord.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes