FIOS Router Wi-Fi Password Viewable On My Verizon Website
adelphi_sky1

Is there any way to lock down my FIOR router's Wi-Fi passwords so that it is NOT shared with the Verizon website in CLEARTEXT? This seems like a HUGE security flaw. There is no reason why my personal router Wi-Fi passwords should be shared to my account page. If y Verizon account gets hacked, then that opens up my entire home network to the world. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a password anyway? I see no reason to keep the router password on the website at all. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Router Wi-Fi Password Viewable On My Verizon Website
jonjones1
Legend

@adelphi_skywrote:

Thanks again. But I got my Fios Quantum Gateway on Amazon. It isn't rented. Glad I don't have to go through that hassle. 

As a follow up, I placed the Verizon router on and then went to a friends house and used his WiFi (he has Charter Spectrum) I went to http://www.verizon.com and logged into my account. Even though not on my own network the routers WiFi did show up but also showed disabled. So it was not accessible. I don’t use Fios router so WiFi was set to off. So accurate.

now on this account page I used the speed tests (beta) the router test was good, the device test was not registered, and the WiFi and what’s connected device wise was zilch. Also accurate. 

So it seems this could just be a snapshot of what is happening at time of login.

as I said earlier since a person needs your account login name and password to get to the account I wouldn’t worry too much. I noticed there is a section for an account pin if you desire one. I know their wireless side requires the pin in addition to your last 4 if ssn. Makes it more secure.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@adelphi_skywrote:

Is there any way to lock down my FIOR router's Wi-Fi passwords so that it is NOT shared with the Verizon website in CLEARTEXT? This seems like a HUGE security flaw. There is no reason why my personal router Wi-Fi passwords should be shared to my account page. If y Verizon account gets hacked, then that opens up my entire home network to the world. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a password anyway? I see no reason to keep the router password on the website at all. 

Although you have a good point, the account page is only accessible via your secure login and account password. So unless you are leaving that lying around there is really not much of a security breach. Verizon Fios customer service can see it no matter what it is, they use it to look at your routers settings.

you could try changing from the default showing and then see if it appears again. Or simply use a non Verizon router which will not appear on your account.

0 Likes
adelphi_sky1

I agree that the website has a secure login, but since when did that matter before when information was stolen from a corporate DB? Having wi-fi passwords on the site just adds another unnecessary layer of risk in this era of weak security practices. This qualifies as a weak security practice by ANY password viewable in an account. If my account gets hacked, they don't need my wi-fi passwords too. lol Especially since my name and address are also online. 

Any suggestions on a non-verizon router that is compatible with the gigabit speed package I have.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@adelphi_skywrote:

I agree that the website has a secure login, but since when did that matter before when information was stolen from a corporate DB? Having wi-fi passwords on the site just adds another unnecessary layer of risk in this era of weak security practices. This qualifies as a weak security practice by ANY password viewable in an account. If my account gets hacked, they don't need my wi-fi passwords too. lol Especially since my name and address are also online. 

Any suggestions on a non-verizon router that is compatible with the gigabit speed package I have.

I use a very expensive Netgear Nighthawk R8500 retail now $300-$400 USD

but there are cheaper ones out there by Netgear, Asus, Archer etc. I would look for ones with external antennas and beam forming. An ac/a/b/g/n 

i don’t know what service you have. I am a customer helping a customer. However if you have tv and phone from Fios you either use the Fios router in bridge mode to use your set top boxes. Or a MOCA adapter. If internet only and on ethernet then you can use any router you wish. This link here can walk you through using and setting up your own router https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Look at section 3.1 General Networking 

Good Luck

0 Likes
adelphi_sky1

@jonjoneswrote:

@adelphi_skywrote:

I use a very expensive Netgear Nighthawk R8500 retail now $300-$400 USD

but there are cheaper ones out there by Netgear, Asus, Archer etc. I would look for ones with external antennas and beam forming. An ac/a/b/g/n 

i don’t know what service you have. I am a customer helping a customer. However if you have tv and phone from Fios you either use the Fios router in bridge mode to use your set top boxes. Or a MOCA adapter. If internet only and on ethernet then you can use any router you wish. This link here can walk you through using and setting up your own router https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Look at section 3.1 General Networking 

Good Luck

Thanks. I have FIOS internet only via ethernet. So, getting another router is a viable option. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Glad to help. Remember in those faq’s I gave you. You must release the dhcp first, quickly unplug the Verizon router the put yours on. It will grab the dhcp for your new router. Then make sure QOS (quality of service) is disabled on the new router.

then go to a Verizon Fios store if you are renting now and return their router. You save $10 a month ($120 a year) right away. Get a printed receipt showing the serial numbers, and esn and any other identification from the router on the receipt. Have the store note your return immediately. Don’t let them say they will do it later, or the system is down.

wait for that receipt you will need it later if Fios tries to collect monthly fees or non returned equipment money. 

0 Likes
adelphi_sky1

Thanks again. But I got my Fios Quantum Gateway on Amazon. It isn't rented. Glad I don't have to go through that hassle. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure that passwords are stored.

May very well be that it queries router when you log in to account.
One way to tell would be to power off router.

Use another Internet access and then log in to account.

If no password, it isn't stored.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@adelphi_skywrote:

As a follow up, I placed the Verizon router on and then went to a friends house and used his WiFi (he has Charter Spectrum) I went to http://www.verizon.com and logged into my account. Even though not on my own network the routers WiFi did show up but also showed disabled. So it was not accessible. I don’t use Fios router so WiFi was set to off. So accurate.

now on this account page I used the speed tests (beta) the router test was good, the device test was not registered, and the WiFi and what’s connected device wise was zilch. Also accurate. 

So it seems this could just be a snapshot of what is happening at time of login.

as I said earlier since a person needs your account login name and password to get to the account I wouldn’t worry too much. I noticed there is a section for an account pin if you desire one. I know their wireless side requires the pin in addition to your last 4 if ssn. Makes it more secure.

0 Likes