FIOS VPN
Mrw5641
hello all. I have the fios internet with ltpt already pre configured. I am using Windows VPN to connect to the external IP address of my FIOS Internet and I get a login screen for the VPN but I have no idea what the password could be. I tried admin admin / admin password. I am not sure. Anything else I need to do?
0 Likes
Re: FIOS VPN
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mrw5641 wrote:
hello all. I have the fios internet with ltpt already pre configured. I am using Windows VPN to connect to the external IP address of my FIOS Internet and I get a login screen for the VPN but I have no idea what the password could be. I tried admin admin / admin password. I am not sure. Anything else I need to do?

Any way you can clarify what you are trying to do?

What does ltpt mean? 

Where is the VPN server that you are trying to connect to - internally on your home network?  If so the userid and password is what you set up when you configured that server.

If you are talking about remote admin for your router then the default userid is admin and the default passowrd will be on a sticker attached to the router.

0 Likes
Mrw5641
LLPT I should say. I am trying to connect to my home network from a remote location. I do not have a VPN server setup. But it is prompting me for some user and password. I am trying to access y home network
0 Likes
Mrw5641
L2PT TUNNEL
0 Likes
Mrw5641
Any ideas?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw similar behavior with my company's VPN years ago.  Essentially when VPN is active it tries to send everything through that connection and from that location to whatever you are trying to access.  Depending on which VPN some things will not work and somethings will not be seen as from a Verizon location and so require logons.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mrw5641 wrote:
LLPT I should say. I am trying to connect to my home network from a remote location. I do not have a VPN server setup. But it is prompting me for some user and password. I am trying to access y home network

I have no idea what is prompting you for credentials but would assume it' your router.

What application are you running on the machine that you are using to try and connect to your home network?

If you are trying to remotely connect to your home network you need some kind of listener on the network to accomodate that.  OpenVPN can do that if you just want to be a client on the network, not sure how you using a vpn tunnel to create a second vpn tunnel would work however.

You could also enable remote desktop access to a machine on your network which would do sort of the same thing.  To do that you'd have to port forward port 3389 to the ip address of the internal machine that you enabled rdp on - port 3389 is the default, personally I would change the listener to a more obscure port - it's a minor registry change.

0 Likes
Mrw5641
Actually no matter what IP address I put in prompts me for credentials.

My router is 192.168.1.1 basically I want to be able to connect to my home router my my apartment.

Do I need to route 192.168.1.1 or port forward? I see settings in the router for the VPN
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Possibly you need some ports open depending on the exact VPN product used by your company.  And many such products require some sort of password or authentication.  Mine used a RSA Secuirid (seperate hardware keyfob).

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mrw5641 wrote:
Actually no matter what IP address I put in prompts me for credentials.

My router is 192.168.1.1 basically I want to be able to connect to my home router my my apartment.

Do I need to route 192.168.1.1 or port forward? I see settings in the router for the VPN

Actually your router, from the internet, is whatever IP address is displayed as the WAN port address on your router admin screen.

However that doesn't matter because your prompt apparently is coming from whatever VPN server your VPN client is going to.

0 Likes