FIOS slow *except* with G1100
NickMarkham

Wondering if anyone's seen this before...

I have 100 Mb/s FIOS with a G1100 currently.  When I run a speed test from a computer wired to that router, I see upload and download speeds in the 90s.  All good.

But, when I replace it with my own router, uploads stay in the 90s but downloads dorp to the 30s.  If I connect the computer directly to the ONT, I still only get downloads in the 30s!  And conversely, if I connect the ONT to the G1100, the G1100 to my router and my router to the computer, I get speeds in the 90s again.

So, what could be the reason why I can't get good speeds without the G1100 in the mix, and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS slow *except* with G1100
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like your router may be running QoS which is slowing down the bandwidth. Netgear routers in particular, have a function in them where they will auto-detect your download speed by running a speed test, and adjust the QoS settings based around those results. If it tests against a server which gives lousy download speeds but great upload speeds for the test, the router will base the QoS settings around that.

I'd start off by checking your router's Web interface for QoS settings or any other bandwidth limiter setting. Parental Controls settings can also cause problems on some routers, as can external devices like the Circle Parental Controls devices.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader
jonjones1
Legend

You did not say the speed you are paying for? 75/75 or 100/100 or higher.

each speed tier will show over provisioning not under. So a 90 is unless your speed is 75/75 is slow.

call verizon and have them provision you correctly. 30 is low unless you are using a DSL connection and not Fios fiber internet.

NickMarkham

@CRobGauth wrote:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Slow-wired-speeds-with-own-router/m-p/881615#M76222

See if info in this thread helps.

It doesn't, unfortunately. 😞

0 Likes
NickMarkham

@jonjones wrote:

each speed tier will show over provisioning not under. So a 90 is unless your speed is 75/75 is slow.

call verizon and have them provision you correctly. 30 is low unless you are using a DSL connection and not Fios fiber internet.

I'm paying for 100/100, and since the cables and the computer's NIC are not Gigabit, I'm unlikely to go over 100 at all. 🙂

Anyway, if somehow I weren't provisioned properly, would that explain why I get speeds in the 90s with Verizon's router between my computer and the ONT?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@NickMarkham wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

I'm paying for 100/100, and since the cables and the computer's NIC are not Gigabit, I'm unlikely to go over 100 at all. 🙂

Anyway, if somehow I weren't provisioned properly, would that explain why I get speeds in the 90s with Verizon's router between my computer and the ONT?

Yes that would explain it. At 100/100 it should be around 110/120 or there abouts.

call them and have them look at the numbers. It is possible that you are provisioned correctly but something in the computer settings is not correct.

fiosuser219
Enthusiast - Level 2

I suggest you reach out to @VerizonSupport for quicker service. 

jonjones1
Legend

The twitter option is not that fast. The better ootion if not calling 1-800-VERIZON is to use the verizon help at DSL Reports 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like your router may be running QoS which is slowing down the bandwidth. Netgear routers in particular, have a function in them where they will auto-detect your download speed by running a speed test, and adjust the QoS settings based around those results. If it tests against a server which gives lousy download speeds but great upload speeds for the test, the router will base the QoS settings around that.

I'd start off by checking your router's Web interface for QoS settings or any other bandwidth limiter setting. Parental Controls settings can also cause problems on some routers, as can external devices like the Circle Parental Controls devices.