Fastest DSL speed
Drew641
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have DSL at a high speed of 3.0Mbps I see others say they have 7 Mbps I've asked to see if I could get on a faster plan but they say no. I can't get fios yet being in a townhome complex. Why can some people get this and others not
0 Likes
Re: Fastest DSL speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Drew64 wrote:
I have DSL at a high speed of 3.0Mbps I see others say they have 7 Mbps I've asked to see if I could get on a faster plan but they say no. I can't get fios yet being in a townhome complex. Why can some people get this and others not

Depends on the line and the equipment you're on. To make sure the line isn't the issue here, could you supply your modem Transceiver statistics? If you're not sure how to get them, tell us what modem you have.

0 Likes
Drew641
Enthusiast - Level 2
Don't know how or if I can get them. Have a westell C90. Very old. Had it since I moved into place and got DSL. Verizon is sending me a newer modem. Actiontec I believe. Even as I am replying now I am getting buffering trying to listen to internet radio and my kid playing minecraft.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try these two URLs. Do they take you anywhere?

http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm

http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

If your modem is not totally bridged (meaning you have a router connected), and if it's not one of the old Ancient Westell 2100s or is a newer Westell 6110 it should work. If you get a 404 and have a router connected, you're likely hitting your router.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

DSL is a technology that distance from the Central Office plays a major role. Typically you need a loop of 18,000ft or less on an unloaded clean pair. The further you are located away from the Cental Office the slower the type of DSL service you are able to get.

0 Likes
Drew641
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried both those links but getting a timed out message. Router model is a c90-36r 516. how do i know how far from CO. Call verizon i assume. And yes i am hooked to router on this computer. Do i need to try the above links with line hooked directly to computer

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@Drew64 wrote:

Tried both those links but getting a timed out message. Router model is a c90-36r 516. how do i know how far from CO. Call verizon i assume. And yes i am hooked to router on this computer. Do i need to try the above links with line hooked directly to computer

Neither one of those links will work with the C90 DSL modem.

0 Likes
Drew641
Enthusiast - Level 2
Will it be worth changing to the modem they send me. Never had any problems with this westell dropping signal but it is 15 yrs old. They are sending me an actiontec but don't know model. Know it has router built in but can be set up in bridge mode
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If the modem is what is causing your issue then yes it will help. If you have a line problem then no new modem will help until the issue on your line is corrected.

0 Likes
Drew641
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well according to verizon line is fine. I check the speed online at times and it's varies at times from 2.0 to 2.7. Any other way to test line
0 Likes