FiOS Router G1100 Advanced Log filling with error messages
BlueRaccoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

For some reason none of my devices could connect to the internet using my 2.4GHz WIFI on the FiOS router G1100. The 5GHz band was working fine. I noticed in the web dashboard System Monitoring => Advanced Status => System Logging => Advanced Log, the following message is appearing every 5 seconds:

user.err<11> bhr4: Upnp.WanIpConnectionService: Invalid Internal Client address

It only started appearing today at midnight. The rest of the Advanced log only has a couple of entries every month or so going into the past, but not that error message. 

I power cycled the route, and now my 2.4Ghz WIFI is working fine, but those messages are still appearing in the log every 5 seconds. Google has given me zero hits on "Invalid Internal Client address"

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Router G1100 Advanced Log filling with error messages
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

As suggested in the log message itself, the entry is generated from Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) WAN IP Connection Service. Something on your local network is trying to convince the G1100 router to open a port from the outside, but G1100 says no because the internal address is invalid.

Universal Plug and Play is employed by many consumer-grade IoT devices to accept incoming connections (both desired and undesired). It is not safe and recommended to be disabled. Some gaming consoles rely on UPnP for multiplayer connections, but this can be worked around using port forwarding.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

As suggested in the log message itself, the entry is generated from Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) WAN IP Connection Service. Something on your local network is trying to convince the G1100 router to open a port from the outside, but G1100 says no because the internal address is invalid.

Universal Plug and Play is employed by many consumer-grade IoT devices to accept incoming connections (both desired and undesired). It is not safe and recommended to be disabled. Some gaming consoles rely on UPnP for multiplayer connections, but this can be worked around using port forwarding.

BlueRaccoon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the explanation! I tried powering off some devices one by one to see if the message would stop getting logged. First tried some WIFI cameras, then a smart switch, and finally the Amazon Fire TV Stick. That was it! Once I powered off the Fire TV Stick the logging stopped. I powered it back on, and so far no new log messages. The Fire TV Stick had an update, so I am running that now and hopefully it won't happen again. I wonder if it's bad behavior caused the 2.4GHz failure to begin with. Thanks again!