FiOS Speed "Upgrade" Gone Wrong
celltech5333
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of days ago I fell for a VZ e-mail offering Quantum internet services.  I decided to go from 25/25 to 75/35.  I actually was joking to myself what if I end up losing my service as this upgrade went through.

Guess I should have not laughed...

Had an e-mail this morning on my phone to go try out my new wonderful FiOS services.  Of course I had no internet...gateway light is red/yellow and as I logged into it I could see it constantly trying to sync up.  So I rebooted the router and the ONT to no avail.

Called into VZ...and after several wasted minutes of that stupid IVR going in circles I finally had a live person.  She was very nice and saw where it appeared that the order had actually not completed.  She kept going away and coming back, trying this and that and finally gave up.  She suggested I want "an hour" and see if it was done.  I said no, that you should not kill my services hours before you actually upgrade it and demanded a supervisor.  She gladly found one for me and we started talking.

It took him some time and he was trying to get my "upgrade" completed ASAP.  The Tier 2/3 guy he got told him to have me reseat the coax on my router...stupid.  They went around and around and reached the conclusion that there is some issue between the ONT and the CO.  Now I am waiting for a truck to come and likely replace the ONT.  And I think this will be the 4th or 5th for other crap that has gone wrong.

Now why would a simple config policy push go and screw things up this bad?  How hard is it to not kill my existing internet until you are ready to give me the new speed?

No wonder this service cost sooooo much money.  They spend a fortune paying guys to drive all over the city replacing equipment for software reasons.  My guess is some dumb backend system is hung and they can't get it to talk to my ONT.  Putting in a new one just allows them to start fresh.  This is crazy...

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Speed "Upgrade" Gone Wrong
celltech5333
Enthusiast - Level 2

Technician came out late this afternoon.  He just decided to replace my Westell router with an Actiontec  model.  After he had the CO release the IP it came right up and synced with the ONT.  Getting 83/35 and logging into the router it's *much* faster to react to commands.

I am happy with the outcome, but **bleep** that it came to this in the first place.

prisaz
Legend

@celltech5333 wrote:

Technician came out late this afternoon.  He just decided to replace my Westell router with an Actiontec  model.  After he had the CO release the IP it came right up and synced with the ONT.  Getting 83/35 and logging into the router it's *much* faster to react to commands.

I am happy with the outcome, but **bleep** that it came to this in the first place.

I agree that they should have replaced your router before sending a tech. UPS is cheaper than tech time, fuel, and your time.

0 Likes
celltech5333
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was not about to wait for UPS to deliver parts.  I told them they were going to get it fixed that day or I was headed elsewhere.  I am 99% sure this is some software bug that was masked by replacing hardware.  I see it all the time in my telecom job.  VZ needs to have more reliable equipment/code.

And things have remained stable since I got the new router.

0 Likes