Re: FiOS speeds have been very slow between 7-11 PM in Redlands, CA.
el3ment00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Man I hear you. I'm so frustrated that I have to just "Deal" with this lack of service. It is unacceptable. I work at Home in South Redlands, and speeds are fine during the day and fast when I VPN into work. (My work is based in San Francisco), but in the evening when I want to stream TV or any content, forget it!! 

Time warner has a 200 and 300 MBPS plan, which I'm debating on trying.. However, their upload speeds are only 20, and that is pretty slow for me when I'm uploading content to my work during the day... 

Everyone, please keep this forum going.. Even if it's a check in to say hello, we need to make some noise as a community!!

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not just in CA, Verizon has horrible saturated peering everywhere they go.  The most recent being AWS which also hosts dropbox. I can't get more than 1Mbit/sec from amazon or dropbox most times of the day.  They probably expect Amazon to pony up to increase the peering capacity. Amazon probably expects Verizon to do the same.  Thus the customer suffers.  I wish the BBB or FCC could help but free market and all.... which brings me to the monopolies they have in the home.  There really is no choice even when I can get cable with a 150/20 limit, the upstream on Cable is terrible.

0 Likes
thewrightclick
0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

@thewrightclick wrote:

Here are a couple of links I found that explain the peering issue and I thought were pretty interesting.

http://www.telecompetitor.com/level-3-peering-dispute-ports-to-5-u-s-internet-providers-are-permanen...

http://www.telecompetitor.com/level-3-peering-dispute-ports-to-5-u-s-internet-providers-are-permanen...

Yes, this is *exactly* the problem.  Currently it is AWFUL with AWS (Amazon), Google (at certain points) and Level3.

0 Likes
thewrightclick

I just noticed and sorry for the double post of the links in my last comment.  This is the second link I wanted to post.  I thought it was even more interesting than that first.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140718/06533327927/level3-proves-that-verizon-is-absolutely-to-b...

0 Likes
Alan_B1

Add TAMPA, FL to the list of horrible speed problems.To add insult to injury, they mail me offers to up my speed to 75/75. If their 50/50 is only giving me 3/50 during peak times, what good does upgrading do? I'm starting to think it's time for a good Class Action Lawsuit against Verison FiOS. Over the last 2 weeks I can't even use my Netflix, as it just pixelates and freezes. Using speedtest.net it shows around 2-4MB d/l speed and using Verizons site it says 50MB. They are clearly masking the issue with their dedicated speed test.

0 Likes
thewrightclick
The last time I tested on Sunday night around 9:00pm I was getting 3.07 down and 62 up on a 75/75 plan. Even Verizon's speed tests are showing 5 or 6 down in the same time frame. Anyone here an attorney and want to take on a class action as others are mentioning?
0 Likes
thewrightclick
It be nice if Verizon monitored this forum and saw how **bleep** their own customers are getting and actually cared enough about our business to do something about it. I'm thinking of going back to Time Warner to get what I pay for.
0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmm I have the opposite problem.

https://www.bsd-unix.net/seitz/screenshots/2015-04-24_0337.png

I get those speeds all day long to Verizon's servers, but total crap to AWS (Amazon) and Dropbox etc...

0 Likes
thewrightclick
I certainly wished I had part of your problem. When I first noticed my problem I was trying to download updates and couldn't believe how slow it was. My test then showed 2 down and 38 up.
0 Likes