FioS Network Adapter
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today we received a FioS Network Adapter to enable my wife's computer to access the Internet from her office, replacing the Powerline Networking setup which is prone to losing its Internet connection unpredictably.

The instructions from Verizon say to hook up the FNA and the PC via Ethernet cable, then to connect the FNA to a coax outlet, and finally plug in the power cord. Two green lights should come on, one for the power and the other for the coax.

We are getting the green light for power, but not for the coax. (Not sure how long we need to wait for it to come on.) I know that the Ethernet cable works properly (I unplugged it from another computer) and have tried both different coax cables and different coax outlets, no dice.

In the basement where my office is, we have the Verizon Gateway G1100 but we need some way for her to access the Internet from upstairs. Wireless is ruled out by wife, so we need some kind of wired solution. Powerline networking has proven unreliable as I said, and we'd really rather not start drilling through walls/floors to run Ethernet cable up two stories. The FNA looked like the solution, but we haven't managed to get it to work.

What are we doing wrong? What else should I do to troubleshoot the issue? Is our brand-new FNA simply bad?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FioS Network Adapter
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You own the cables and 4-way splitter and can do whatever you want with them.

You can simply add a two-way spillter to one of the outputs from the 4-way splitter.  I think the extender ships with one in the box.  If not, you can buy one online or any store that sells TV accessories (Target, Home Depot, …).  If it says 5-1675MHz, you’re good.  A MoCA label is nice, but not required.  Here’s one I found online:

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0

If you have to crimp connectors onto the cables, it’s not that hard.  You can find the tools online or at Home Depot / Lowes / local hardware store.  You should be able to find tutorials online or find a helpful person at the store.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@jedam wrote:

Today we received a FioS Network Adapter to enable my wife's computer to access the Internet from her office, replacing the Powerline Networking setup which is prone to losing its Internet connection unpredictably.

The instructions from Verizon say to hook up the FNA and the PC via Ethernet cable, then to connect the FNA to a coax outlet, and finally plug in the power cord. Two green lights should come on, one for the power and the other for the coax.

We are getting the green light for power, but not for the coax. (Not sure how long we need to wait for it to come on.) I know that the Ethernet cable works properly (I unplugged it from another computer) and have tried both different coax cables and different coax outlets, no dice.

In the basement where my office is, we have the Verizon Gateway G1100 but we need some way for her to access the Internet from upstairs. Wireless is ruled out by wife, so we need some kind of wired solution. Powerline networking has proven unreliable as I said, and we'd really rather not start drilling through walls/floors to run Ethernet cable up two stories. The FNA looked like the solution, but we haven't managed to get it to work.

What are we doing wrong? What else should I do to troubleshoot the issue? Is our brand-new FNA simply bad?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/pdf/8059_VER_WIFI_EXTENDER_QSG_final%20version.pdf

this may help you. Look how the coaxial is used.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the G1100 connected to coax?  If not, that's your problem!

Good Luck.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/pdf/8059_VER_WIFI_EXTENDER_QSG_final%20version.pdf

this may help you. Look how the coaxial is used.

Thank you, we hooked up the adapter to an unused coax outlet so the connection looks the same as on the instruction sheet, except there's no splitter. As far as I can tell, everything's as it should be (?).

0 Likes
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

Is the G1100 connected to coax?  If not, that's your problem!

Good Luck.

Thanks, yes, the G1100 is connected via coax to the ONT.

Hope this helps in narrowing down the source of the problem.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure both coax jacks are connected to the same coax network.  It sounds like the extender’s coax jack is not connected to anything.

Do you have TV service?  If so, you can use a TV or set-top-box to test the extender’s jack.  That will also tell me your G1100’s coax is hooked up properly, as it’s needed for Verizon set-top-boxes to work.

If you do confirm the extender’s jack is not connected, simply find a place to add a splitter and connect it in.

Good Luck.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

Make sure both coax jacks are connected to the same coax network.  It sounds like the extender’s coax jack is not connected to anything.

Do you have TV service?  If so, you can use a TV or set-top-box to test the extender’s jack.  That will also tell me your G1100’s coax is hooked up properly, as it’s needed for Verizon set-top-boxes to work.

If you do confirm the extender’s jack is not connected, simply find a place to add a splitter and connect it in.

Good Luck.

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean up there. Smiley Happy

When you say "the extender's jack," is that the coax port sticking out of the back of the extender, or is it the coax wall outlet to which I connected the extender?

I suppose that the G1100 is hooked up properly, since we do have FiOS TV working in the house.

0 Likes
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

This afternoon, I disconnected the coax from the STB in my office (basement) and connected it to the network adapter. What do you know, within a few seconds both lights on the adapter were lit up green!

So now we know that the adapter isn't defective. I'm thinking that what happened is that the coax outlets in the two upstairs rooms that we tried near her office are inactive. (They were put in when the house went up but they've never been used and now we have switched TV service from Comcast to Verizon.)

We do have a working coax outlet at the upstairs TV, but that's at the opposite end of the house and wife has already said that running an Ethernet cable from there to her office would be unsatisfactory.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what I thought, the jack the extender was plugged into is not connected to anything.  If you can find the other end and connect into the coax network, you'll be good to go.

Enjoy.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

That's what I thought, the jack the extender was plugged into is not connected to anything.  If you can find the other end and connect into the coax network, you'll be good to go.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the good wishes. That coax cable disappears into the wall and goes down two floors, so it will be a real challenge figuring out where it leads to. In the basement where the ONT is, the Verizon installer left a forest of coax cables from the original Comcast setup either dangling or threading up to parts unknown. Ouch!

0 Likes