Fios 200/200 not available at my location
ktn1987

I scheduled to have a technician install Fios at my new apartment today. Someone named Ian called and told me only 100/100 is available at my location and I have to use their modem. Does this sound right to anybody? I'm going to canceled my installation and plan.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios 200/200 not available at my location
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other users here.  If you want an answer from Verizon, you'll need to call them.

Depending on the way Fios is installed in your building, you may very well be limited to 100Mbps.  This happens when fiber is not run to each unit, but to a central ONT that then services units via phone cables and coax.  Verizon will know what your building has, so you need to ask them.

If your building is setup for fiber to the unit, and you are only getting internet, you can use any router you want (Fios does not use modems).  This is unsupported by Verizon, so they won't help with install, configuration or answer support queries.  If you have basic tech skills, this isn't hard to do yourself.  Many people do it.  If you like being able to call your ISP for help, stick with a Verizon router.

If your building is setup with a central ONT, you'll need a Verizon router to terminate the VDSL link.  I'm not aware of any way to avoid a Verizon router in this configuration.

If you're getting Verizon TV service with their set-top-boxes, a Verizon router is strongly recommended as it provides special services for the boxes.  It's really hard to duplicate those services with a non-Verizon router.  And then there's that support thing; they won't help if there are any TV issues and a non-Verizon router is in use.

Again, you'll need to ask Verizon what is available at your location.  I suggest you use their chat support.

View solution in original post

Re: Fios 200/200 not available at my location
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other users here.  If you want an answer from Verizon, you'll need to call them.

Depending on the way Fios is installed in your building, you may very well be limited to 100Mbps.  This happens when fiber is not run to each unit, but to a central ONT that then services units via phone cables and coax.  Verizon will know what your building has, so you need to ask them.

If your building is setup for fiber to the unit, and you are only getting internet, you can use any router you want (Fios does not use modems).  This is unsupported by Verizon, so they won't help with install, configuration or answer support queries.  If you have basic tech skills, this isn't hard to do yourself.  Many people do it.  If you like being able to call your ISP for help, stick with a Verizon router.

If your building is setup with a central ONT, you'll need a Verizon router to terminate the VDSL link.  I'm not aware of any way to avoid a Verizon router in this configuration.

If you're getting Verizon TV service with their set-top-boxes, a Verizon router is strongly recommended as it provides special services for the boxes.  It's really hard to duplicate those services with a non-Verizon router.  And then there's that support thing; they won't help if there are any TV issues and a non-Verizon router is in use.

Again, you'll need to ask Verizon what is available at your location.  I suggest you use their chat support.