Fios Functionality With Netgear Nighthawk X6S Router
JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read the pinned post about this and tried to use it as a guide, but I don't seem to have a Fios Functionality with my third party router.  Basically, my Channel Guide and On Demand functions don't work when I tried to make the switch to a better router. 

Here's what I'm working with..

My Quantum Gateway had a coax and an ethernet cable plugged into.  From what I've read, I didn't think I would need a MoCA Adapter.  I released the DHCP lease and turned off the default Fios Wifi Networks.  I then plugged that Ethernet cable into the new router.  I left the coax cable plugged into the Quantum Gateway, as the STB in the bedroom would not work without it plugged in.  Finally, I ran an ethernet from the LAN port of the Netgear Router to the WAN port of the Quantum Gateway. 

Did I miss a step here? I've tried to read as many forum posts about this as I can about this, but maybe there's something that went a little over my head and I missed? 

0 Likes
Re: Fios Functionality With Netgear Nighthawk X6S Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the G1100 and go to...

• My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings.
  • Change default gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X or whatever your Netgear’s subnet is set. 
  • Disable the DHCP server
  • Disable wifi on G1100. 
  • Connect LAN from the Netgear router to the G1100'S LAN
  • Existing coax needs to be connected to the G1100 coax port. 
  • Reboot your STBs 
JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for replying! I think i've done most of this already.  Just a couple of things..

I thought the cable was supposed to go from the LAN port of the new router to the WAN port of the G1100? Not LAN to LAN.

I don't think I changed the default gateway.  So I'll definitely have to look into that tonight.  Hopefully that will be the issue that I have and this can be an easy fix.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Netgear default gateway is most likely 192.168.1.1 and so is the G1100 which is mainly why it is not working. 
If you go Netgear LAN to G1100 you have to change the G1100 to a different subnet for example 192.168.2.1. This creates a double NAT which the G1100 will still assign IPs to the STBs. Not really a big deal and everything will still work. 
If you go LAN to LAN and keep the G1100 in the 192.168.1.1 subnet the Netgear will assign IPs to every thing in your network including the STBs. 
Both ways will work I just prefer the LAN to LAN method. 

JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I followed all the steps previously posted..

Seems like I have a guide currently.  It rolls until Wednesday at 12:30 then it says No Program Info.  Not sure if that is by design or not.  On Demand seems like it's currently working on the STB in the bedroom, but not in the living room.  I'm gonna give this until the morning and see if this is all actually working properly or not. 

Thanks for your help so far!

JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wanted to post another update.  I was running LAN to LAN and seemed liked everything was working fine.  Then I started experiencing freezing on my TV in the back of the house.  On demand was still working there.  On Demand stopped working at the STB in the front of the house, but was receiving a solid TV broadcast.  I reset everything back the way I had it in the beginning and the TV broadcast worked fine in the back of the house.  Just tonight I got around of setting everything up for LAN to WAN.  On Demand is currently working on both STBs and I have a channel guide.  I'm feeling optimistic right now.  We'll see how it goes.

JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello again Verizon Forums..

So everything was working pretty well for a while, but lately things have been acting up.  The guide went out, but a reset of all boxes, routers, and ONT brought it back up.  Then the cable box in the back of the house lost network connection.  No biggie, another reset and it was all good.  Now the guide and cable box are out and I can't get them back up.  

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did the STBs automatically update the firmware by themselves?

0 Likes
JBonica17
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I'm being honest, I don't know.  I've never done it manually, but I couldn't tell you if it went automatically.  Is there a way for me to check the firmware version or when the last update was?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the STB works before then suddenly stops working, firmware could be an issue at play. I am not that familiar with the STBs, I would refer you to FiOS TV Technical Assistance subsection of this forum.

0 Likes