Fios G3100 problems with NetGear N300 (EX2700) extender
cjhughes
Enthusiast - Level 2

We recently got a new Fios G3100 router. (Our previous Actiontec router was dropping connections and needed resetting on a regular basis.) We were using a NetGear N300 (model EX2700) router without any problems specific to the extender. Since installing the router, the extender loses its connection to the router (or gets really slow) periodically. It takes anywhere from a few hours to a day or two to show up. Rebooting the router brings it back again, but rebooting the extender has no effect.

I chatted with support a few times, but had no luck. Both the router and extender have been factory reset several times to no avail. The latest agent told me that the router was only compatible with the latest Verizon router, but I have a hard time believing this. I thought there were WiFi standards that were supposed to be followed. How can our devices connect to the router, but not the extender?

Of course, they're trying to sell me a new extender. If it would really solve our problems, I'd be willing to do it, but I want to be sure there isn't a solution with our current setup.

Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Fios G3100 problems with NetGear N300 (EX2700) extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you turn off Self-Organizing Network (SON) at G3100. Sometimes older devices, like the extender you have, may have trouble understanding SON. Basic WiFi standards only concern the data link. They cannot guarantee performance. If you are not uplinking you’re extender to G3100 using an Ethernet cable, it is not recommended to use a third party extender.

0 Likes
cjhughes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where is the SON setting? I can't seem to find it in the menus.

EDIT: I found it on the Fios app. Not sure why I can't find it in the router menus.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delayed reply. You can find the SON switch at G3100 GUI, WiFi > Advanced Settings > SON Wi-Fi Enabled > Off. The option is not so obvious. It is between 802.11 Mode and Group key update Interval Time.

Once you turned it off, does the situation improve however?

0 Likes
cjhughes
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure yet - it'll be a couple of days before I can be sure.

0 Likes
cjhughes
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, that didn't seem to have solved the problem. I guess I'm going to have to install a Fios extender.

0 Likes