Fios Gigabit Issue
chigg12345
Enthusiast - Level 1

Around a month ago, I upgraded from 150 internet speed to the fios gigabit connection plan. I’m experiencing very slow device speeds on my 5g/2g connections. I have a Fios Quantum Gateway router which is 1+ years old.  

Is there anything that I can do to improve my internet speeds?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Gigabit Issue
jonjones1
Legend

Actually those speeds are within Fios up to statement.

940/880 no one can achieve 1024/1024 it is not possible.

now device speeds are dependent on how they are connected. Wired or WiFi and on the device specs, the nic card and WiFi radio and processor speeds and probably more on routers. Some are b/g/n others like I use are ac/a/b/g/n and there is another standard coming out even faster but no devices yet that can use it.

dont worry about it. 

imageRouter speeds

imageiPad speed over wireless

Re: Fios Gigabit Issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally Wi-Fi will be the weakest link to a Gigabit connection. Most devices if they use a 2x2 802.11ac radio will max around 400-500Mbps. If you have a good 3x3 radio (MacBooks or very high end laptops have these) these may approach the 800Mbps range. But that is under ideal conditions. 

On the Wi-Fi side, maybe try different channels. With that said, it's really up to the capabilities of the client at the end of the day. The router itself will likely max around 800Mbps on 802.11ac (as it is 3x3 Wave 1 802.11ac) and will max around 150Mbps on 2.4Ghz (20Mhz wide channels, 3x3). Assuming both are utilized to their fullest, in the ideal world of course, that is where Gigabit will shine.

0 Likes