Fios Installation Question
Frostmourne
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new Fios customer and the technician is supposed to be coming next week. I live in a newer apartment and the only internet we have had is Cox. There is a wire box in one of the closets with Cat 5 and Cat 5e wires, where I believe the ONT will be installed. I want to have an ethernet installation instead of coax.

I want to install my router in my office which is across from the room where the ONT will go (unless the ONT can be installed in my office). I don't want to run ethernet cable across the floor to my router. The only jacks I have are coax and phone, however, I read something about technicians being able to change the phone jack to ethernet so that you can plug in there. 

Can somebody please tell me if technicians do this sort of thing? It would be highly preferable compared to drilling through the wall or having an ethernet cable on the floor. If I could get an ethernet jack near my PC everything would be perfect. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to have this done. I'm assuming there is wiring in place since the building is newer and my wire box has the Cat 5/5e cables.

In the event that this isn't possible, what are my options? Will the technician install the ONT at the coax in my office and connect ethernet to my router from there? The issue then is that I can't use the coax for cable TV. I'd appreciate it if anybody can explain what my options are, or how to ask the technician to do this. I don't want to annoy the technician if this is going to be too difficult.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Installation Question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Edg1 says, it's very easy.  In fact, you can even do it yourself!  Head over to your favorite home supply store and buy a couple of CAT5E/6 RG-45's jacks.  They don't cost much and come with a simple punch down tool.  The only other tools you need are wire cutters and screw drivers.

If you want to make sure it works before install day, you can buy an inexpensive cable tester at the same store or online.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, that is very easy thing to do. You just take the RJ11 face jack off and replace it with a RJ45. The tech will do this during the install. Verizon run ethernet on every install these days. It is also required for any speed above 100 mbps. 

Frostmourne
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Edg1 wrote:

Yes, that is very easy thing to do. You just take the RJ11 face jack off and replace it with a RJ45. The tech will do this during the install. Verizon run ethernet on every install these days. It is also required for any speed above 100 mbps. 

I found out great news, I have Cat 5e in the walls already! They used it for phone jacks instead of ethernet, and they are not daisy chained as far as I can tell. Can you comment on how long it would take a technician to convert a couple of these jacks, and will it add any cost or be complimentary? It would be perfect if the technician can do this because it would give me a clean setup and no need to have cables strewn around the house.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It literally takes a couple minutes to take the faceplate off and punchdown a RJ45 jack. I can't imagine any tech would have a problem doing that. It is very easy to do. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Edg1 says, it's very easy.  In fact, you can even do it yourself!  Head over to your favorite home supply store and buy a couple of CAT5E/6 RG-45's jacks.  They don't cost much and come with a simple punch down tool.  The only other tools you need are wire cutters and screw drivers.

If you want to make sure it works before install day, you can buy an inexpensive cable tester at the same store or online.

Good Luck.