Fios Installation
RadRad1

I need an undereground installation of the fiber optic cable to my house from the pole.  How does Verizon / installer bring the cable under my driveway?  I don't wish to disturb it since it is cobblestone and cost me $$$.  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Fios Installation
Hubrisnxs
Legend

anyone trying to install anything underground would have to dig and replace the stone. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

anyone trying to install anything underground would have to dig and replace the stone. 

Not necessisarly.    It's possible, but they bore under the streets in this neighborhood  without digging up the surface of the street.  They may be able to do the same thing under a driveway.

An answer to that question should be able to be had on the phone.  Or maybe a Verizon installer will pipe in here and clarify.

prisaz
Legend

They should be able to dig on both sides and drill, or use what they call a mole. They should not destroy your driveway. They go under sidewalks and streets like that all the time. But I would want to be there for the fiber cable contractor installation, which should be before your scheduled appointment date.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

.... which should be before your scheduled appointment date.

That is also a maybe.  I think it's supposed to work that way but when I had my installation done the diggers didn't show up until after the actual installers were already here.

It all worked out for me though.  Service has been great since day 1.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

.... which should be before your scheduled appointment date.

That is also a maybe.  I think it's supposed to work that way but when I had my installation done the diggers didn't show up until after the actual installers were already here.

It all worked out for me though.  Service has been great since day 1.

Yes I will agree with you. I said "SHOULD". I had a temporary cable across my yard for over two months. The ticket kept getting closed as installation completed. Then when the contractors did show up they didn't know the meaning of buried cable. An inch under the grass and hidden under my mulch is not buried. So I threw them off of my property and did it myself after not being able to get a decent contractor to come out after that. BAD ME! With no construction or contractor manager at Verizon to complain at. But this has been well over five years and the service is not new anymore, so it has gotten better. I have been a very pleased long term FiOS customer since then. I will admit that the service was brand new and I was the first in my area. After my issues it was six months before any of my neighbors could get FiOS, as they needed to figure out the best way for it to be installed.

Regardless we don't want to scare anyone, and I hope the OP enjoys the service as much as I have.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

Regardless we don't want to scare anyone, and I hope the OP enjoys the service as much as I have.

Exactly.Smiley Tongue

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

When they did my installation, the contractor arrived with two pieces of equipment ... the first was a slit trencher that basically dug a slit in the ground and buried the cable behind it (it left a small disturbed patch of grass about 2 inches wide the length of the cable run which eventually grew back over) ... the second was a mole which they used to go under two driveways -- no disturbance of the driveway surface or surrounding landscape.   

What they can do may depend on makeup of the ground around your property and the depth of any material comprising the driveway, but I was quite pleased with my installation -- two years later and even I can't find where the cable actually runs on my property anymore even though I saw where they placed it.