Fios Internet Nearly Unusable After 'Upgrade'
Dingo1

I was forced to 'upgrade' to 300Mbps service after being told I couldn't get rid of video service unless a tech came out and 'upgraded' me.  The old 75Mbps service worked fine and was rock-solid, I was using that service for a decade and never had a single issue past initial setup woes that took Verizon 2 months to fix.  Since the 'upgrade' (which included a new router, a new ONT, and apparently switching to a completely different network) many websites are almost completely unusable--including this one.  (For instance I cannot upload screenshots to this post, the process errors out.)

Most sites will not load completely unless refreshed multiple times.  Sometimes one or two refreshes will get the page to load, sometimes never.  Once a page DOES load completely it loads very quickly.  Youtube videos play for 5 seconds then freeze, buffer, play for 5 seconds, buffer, and then drop to an ultra-low-bandwidth blurry version or sometimes return with 'you are offline, check your connection.'  Several times I have lost Internet connectivity completely.  None of these behaviors were common prior to yesterdays 'upgrade.'

Speed tests provide very inconsistent results.  The Verizon speed test is clearly untrustworthy and probably just a marketing tool as it reports that I'm getting 1600+ Mbps 'from my device to Verizon services.'  Not sure how that's possible on a 300Mbps service and a computer using a 1Gbps Ethernet adapter.  Google speed test consistently reports very low speeds--most recently 4.91 / .72 Mbps (down / up.)  Other speedtests (Speakeasy, Speedtest.net) will show 300/300 most of the time, but then sometimes upload speeds will be in the single-digit range.

And yet other services work just fine.  Netflix--no issues.  Steam downloads--full 300Mbps.  Connectivity to work via RDP or VPN--no issues (except when I completely lose connectivity.)

Central Maryland.  2 user household.  Hard-wired connection to router.  Behavior consistent on Chrome/FF/Edge.  No browser plugins.  Has anybody else had this experience and was there any use in calling support?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios Internet Nearly Unusable After 'Upgrade'
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Dingo1

There's lots of chatter about IPv6 and TCO causing problems with 'new Verizon routers.'  After disabling IPv6 TCO on my Intel NIC and completely disabling IPv6 on the router suddenly this website is usable... and the Google-based speed test is showing normal connection speeds. 

imageimage

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes