Fios Internet ONLY and Google
BagM

I just had Fios Internet ONLY installed today.  But I’m having trouble with the Google WiFi system.

Shouldn’t I just be able to plug in my Fios cable and set it up with the app?  I’m told you don’t need a modem with Fios

If not, what do i need to do?

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Re: Fios Internet ONLY and Google
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are connecting via ethernet?

If so, do you get a link light between your router and the ONT?

Can you try connecting a PC direct to ONT to see if it can get on Internet

0 Likes
BagM

Yea I should be able to plug the Ethernet cable right into the google unit and use the app to activate it, correct?

He installed a brand new Fios system for me and said it’s definitely getting service

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@BagM wrote:

Yea I should be able to plug the Ethernet cable right into the google unit and use the app to activate it, correct?

He installed a brand new Fios system for me and said it’s definitely getting service

Its not as easy as that. On a new install with customer supplied router, the installer should have activated your fios service. They will not do so with your router. However they use a verizon router to activate service and then remove it. Yes if they did that it was working. However you then had to take the ethernet cable from the verizon router and plug into the WAN port of your supplied router. It should find DHCP and the active light on your router should be active.

now you could simply push the reset button on the google device and let it fire up to get service. The DNS should have been released prior to you hooking your router in. The installer should have done that, in any case if the router is not present and on for two hours it is released automatically so hooking in should then be no issue.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BagM wrote:

I just had Fios Internet ONLY installed today.  But I’m having trouble with the Google WiFi system.

Shouldn’t I just be able to plug in my Fios cable and set it up with the app?  I’m told you don’t need a modem with Fios

If not, what do i need to do?

Thanks for the help!

Make sure you go to activate.verizon.com on your phone and register your account using your order number and zip. You won't be able to route until you register. 

0 Likes