Fios Internet install
cw_racefan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a phone and internet only (keeping DirecTV) installation scheduled in a couple weeks and have a question regarding the primary PC. Currently there is no cat5 or coax available in the room where the PC is located, just cat3 phone which I currently use for my DSL connection. Does the primary PC for Fios internet require cat5 or coax at that location, or can the signal be put onto my phone wiring like DSL? IF it does, is there the option of installing the router at the ONT and not having any hardwire connection to it? I assume the Verizon tech will not fish wire or run it through the attic, which is what would be required to get coax or cat5 in the room. If it is required and I pre-wire, is one preferred over the other?

Thanks!

Craig

Re: Fios Internet install
prisaz
Legend

@cw_racefan wrote:

I have a phone and internet only (keeping DirecTV) installation scheduled in a couple weeks and have a question regarding the primary PC. Currently there is no cat5 or coax available in the room where the PC is located, just cat3 phone which I currently use for my DSL connection. Does the primary PC for Fios internet require cat5 or coax at that location, or can the signal be put onto my phone wiring like DSL? IF it does, is there the option of installing the router at the ONT and not having any hardwire connection to it? I assume the Verizon tech will not fish wire or run it through the attic, which is what would be required to get coax or cat5 in the room. If it is required and I pre-wire, is one preferred over the other?

Thanks!

Craig

I would say prewire with CAT6 if you only are going with Phone and internet. You will need a power source at the point of service entry for the ONT power. If you choose to prewire make sure you leave enough cable to reach the ONT on the outside. If you use pre terminated cable which is probably a good idea. I would say opt for the good quality CAT6 cable because it is heavier and better made. You would need a hole tothe outside that the end would fith through. I am sure the tech could make a big enough hole and you or they could seal it. This way the tech will enable the Ethernet port on the ONT and it will give you the option to choose your own router if you choose to not use the Verizon supplied router and have no TV through FiOS. But remember if you need Support you must have the Verizon router in use. If you choose to add TV later, you will need both COAX and CAT6 or 5  to the Verizon router location, or just COAX if you do not wish to keep the Internet over the Ethernet ONT and Router WAN ports. The default configuration is to provide COAX to the router and run the Internet over a MoCA connection from the ONT to the router, which may limit flexibility depending on your preference.

0 Likes
cw_racefan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the info, I guess bottom line is I have to have a network cable (cat5 or 6) or coax from the ONT to the router, unlike DSL? A friend claims that his FIOS router is connected to another modem which is then connected to his regular phone line. Just was hoping to not have to climb around in the attic and drop a line in the wall.Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Thanks again!

Craig

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@cw_racefan wrote:

I guess bottom line is I have to have a network cable (cat5 or 6) or coax from the ONT to the router, unlike DSL?

Correct.  The other option is a wireless connection, but if you're getting 25/25 or higher, you might not be able to fully utilize the bandwidth.

@cw_racefan wrote:

A friend claims that his FIOS router is connected to another modem which is then connected to his regular phone line.

Your friend maybe referring to the ONT (FIOS does not use modems) since the POTS line also comes out of the ONT.

abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@Anti-Phish wrote:

Your friend maybe referring to the ONT (FIOS does not use modems) since the POTS line also comes out of the ONT.

VDSL ONTs have modem and those modems connect to the router.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a situation where the the fios installation is just phone an internet can the router still be connected to the ont via the home coax that is carrying the DirecTv signal and so be placed in any room that has a coax connection?

I'm not suggesting it as a solution, just enquiring of those who might know if it is possible.

0 Likes
cw_racefan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, my friend and I think we figured out his mysterious setup. He's in an apartment building that is not fully wired for Fios (no cat5 and Verizon can't access the coax, because Comcast owns it). We think they have probably brought Fios into the building, and then set up something temporary to be able to get Fios into the apartments while they add the wiring.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That would be the described VDSL/VDSL2 setup for FiOS. It's still FiOS under the hood, though isn't as nice as if you had your own ONT. They're simply using DSL to deliver the service at least until Comcast either gives up their Coax or Verizon runs their own cabling (Ethernet + IPTV maybe?)
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cw_racefan wrote:

Ok, my friend and I think we figured out his mysterious setup. He's in an apartment building that is not fully wired for Fios (no cat5 and Verizon can't access the coax, because Comcast owns it). We think they have probably brought Fios into the building, and then set up something temporary to be able to get Fios into the apartments while they add the wiring.

Think OP's statement

I have a phone and internet only (keeping DirecTV) 

is pretty clear that he's not using comcast.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@abhi_col wrote:

VDSL ONTs have modem and those modems connect to the router.

True.  It was not clear from the OP's post that this was an MDU situation.