Fios Using With My Own Router
TangoGG

I have a G1100 as a gateway router since I have just switched to Fios.  From the ONT, I am connected to the internet via Ethernet, and from the router there is coax for some of Fios TV.  However I was planning on changing out the router to a Nighthawk since b.friday sale and I don't feel like paying rent for this router.  What's the best possible method for having the nighthawk set as the primary router while being able to rid myself of the verizon router while still supporting the STBs?
Would I need to buy a Moca adapter to hook up the the nighthawk via ethernet to coax? or a used/refurb verizon router to serve the purpose? I read through the faq guide but I feel like it doesn't fully answer my question.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Using With My Own Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on what model stb you have, you will also need to open the appropriate ports to allow guide, vod and remote access.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The best way is to keep the Quantum G1100 as primary for dhcp lease only.

this way you get service if something should go wrong with connectivity to the Verizon Router from the ont from Fios servers.

you then run a ethernet cable from the Verizon Routers lan port to the Netgear Nighthawk WAN port. Then you must login to Netgear and set it to access point mode.

when this is done go back into the Quantum router and turn off the WiFi and then your Netgear will be giving out ip addresses and handling the WiFi which is far superior that the Quantum Gateway Router 

read the manual to set up the AP mode on the Nighthawk which is a simple switch to toggle in the GUI of the Nighthawk.

0 Likes
TangoGG

I'm sorry but this does not answer my question at all. 

0 Likes
TangoGG

I'm more concerned with just making sure all the channels would be available. Don't really care about anything else really.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What we are saying is that it isn't that simple.

Boxes need access to internet to get guide.

Without guide, you can't view channels.

And if you want to use vod, that as well uses internet.

There are posts about using your own router as primary, but it does require some networking expertise.

0 Likes
jonesy9020

The problem is that, in addition to a router, you need a modem.  The best way to conceptualize this is that the modem more or less receives the internet signal from Verizon and "creates" the web for you (someone else can come up with a better word, I'm sure.)  The router then takes the signal and distributes it to your various devices. 

The G1100 functions as both a modem and a router, while your Nighthawk is just a router. You will still need a modem to work in tandem with the Nighthawk, but you can bypass using the router portion of the G1100 and get better wireless range and speed in your house.

To eliminate the rental fees, you will need to purchase a G1100 (or other fios compatible modem) of your own.  There are a number of them used out there on ebay in the $50-$60 range, or you can purchase new from Verizon for I believe $150. The benefit of this, as noted, is that you will no longer be putting $10/month into Verizon's pockets.  The downside is that if your G1100 breaks, or Verizon phases them out in favor of a new problem, it is your cost to replace, rather than Verizon's obligation to get you new equipment.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Fios does not use MODEMS !

you can use the Fios router as a stand alone, or you purchase another ROUTER and put it in access point mode or get rid of the Verizon router all together.  This is a guide here.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

0 Likes