Fios Wifi Network Extender Coax Light Not Coming On
vbonz

I recently canceled all of my Comcast Xfinity services and switched to Verizon Internet. For TV, I’m just streaming YouTube TV and phone landline is Voipo. Anyway, I purchased a Verizon Wifi Network Extender and attached my old Comcast coax cable to my router and and an old Coax cable into the extender in another room. I am not getting a coax signal to my Extender. Is it possible that even though I cancelled Comcast, the coax cable is still getting a Comcast signal making the coax cable useless for the extender? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Fios Wifi Network Extender Coax Light Not Coming On
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Could you provide some more info -

1. is this internet only, or includes TV?

2. is the connection to your router via ethernet or Coax?

3. What version of router and extender do you have?

4. Have you (for testing) put the router and extender next to each other and tried connecting via a small (<6 ft) coax cable and tried it?

I could be wrong, but if #4 works, the best guess would be on the coax cable connection between where the router is being plugged in and where the extender is...

0 Likes
vbonz

Hi and thank you for your reply.

1. is this internet only, or includes TV?

Yes - internet only.

2. is the connection to your router via ethernet or Coax?

Ethernet. Additionally, I attached my old comcast coax cable to the back of my router in hopes of back-feeding my wifi extender.

3. What version of router and extender do you have?

Router is the Quantum G1100 and the Extender is WCB6200Q

4. Have you (for testing) put the router and extender next to each other and tried connecting via a small (<6 ft) coax cable and tried it?

Yes when I connect the two directly with a coax cable the coax cable lights up and the two units are paired.

All of my coax cables that run through the house are connected just as they were when I had Comcast in all of my rooms. In fact, I had an overlap in service until I knew everything was working fine with Verizon internet before I called and canceled Comcast. What I'm wondering is if the Comcast signal could still be running through my Coax lines and interfering with my Router back-feeding the internet signal through the same lines or is my issue that you cannot back feed a Verizon internet signal through Comcast coax cables.

0 Likes
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

I am thinking the Cox cable being connected could cause 'signal leak'.

First thing i would do is to locate where the coax cable comes into the house, likely going to a splitter (the first) and disconnect from the outside world (there is something called a PoE filter https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6 for example, but if you disconnect the entry, the whole coax network is self contained within your house).

Next, find the shortest path between the two points - where your router can plug into the coax and where the extender is as well. If possible, hook it up with as few steps in the middle as possible (one splitter both are connected to, and nothing else on the splitter). That should hopefully fix it.

0 Likes
vbonz

I unplugged the Comcast line going IN to the splitter and the power to the splitter and still nothing. Not sure what to do with a PoE Filter. 

0 Likes
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

When i say splitter, I am referring to something like this - There should be no power.

Now, the IN should be a coax cable from your router, and one of the "OUT"s should be a coax going to your extender. Is that something you can confirm and validate?

0 Likes
vbonz

I have an an 8 outlet splitter, so not sure which one goes to the router without trial and error. Verizon is sending a tech, I will update on the fix. Thanks for all your help. 

0 Likes