Fios throttling flash video upload
briarknit

To start, let me preface this by saying I currently have the 150/150 package (150up/150 down).

Over the past 2 months I have had increasing difficulty when it comes to trying to upload videos to sites like YouTube and other flash-video-over-html sites. Uploading a 1GB video to YouTube is taking upwards of 120 minutes (the average I've been seeing since this all started. 

I've analyzed my network so many times I've lost count. I've done everything suggested of me by people experiencing "throttling" on the forums here as well as other websites. This includes (but is not limited to) resetting the router, releasing DHCP and renewing, trying 3 different DNS servers, resetting the ONT multiple times, messing with QoS on both the router and my OS, all with no effect on how slow flash video uploads over HTML.

I feel the need to repeat this because I spoke with a rep at verizon and it was very difficult to get him to understand that I was talking about a specific type of traffic that is being effected here. This issue is primarily effecting uploading flash video over html (uploading a video to YouTube or other streaming sites).

At first I thought that maybe it was just YouTube's servers being overloaded, but when I asked around I found that multiple people I know personally with fios were experiencing the same issue (anecdotal yes, but I'm not leaving it out).

After about a month and half I was ready to give up. Trying to talk to someone higher-up at verizon who knows what I am talking about seems like such a chore that it is almost not worth it. If the issue is something that I am doing wrong or something that verizon has no control over thats fine, but just speaking to someone who knows the difference between traffic type A and traffic type B would be so amazing. The people I've talked to at verizon have the mindset that as long as their speedtest shows that I am getting the proper speed then nothing is wrong. 

Finally I discovered that there are many tests out there that can show if you are getting limited/throttled for specific types of traffic. The test I became most familiar with is the glasnost test: http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

I've ran this test so many times over the past month and each time its the same result, even after making changes to the network (releasing DHCP, new DNS, etc). It all shows that I am getting rate limited on my FlashVideo uploads.

An example of one result is here showing a pathetic upload speed: http://i.imgur.com/2B6dZpl.png

What are my options here? Who can I talk to at verizon to get some assistance with this or at least explain to my why this is happening?

0 Likes