Firmware for Actiontec M1424WR Rev I GigE
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

(Is this forum moribund?  When I search for my router model, the posts are from 5 years ago!!)

I have Verizon FiOS and an Actiontec M1424WR Rev I GigE router which I got from Verizon in Nov. 2013.

When I go to the update firmware page, I see I am running firmware 40.21.24.

I have it set to check for a firmware upgrade every 24 hours.

Also in the Actiontec Upgrade window I see:

And..

Internet Version:  Old Wireless Broadband Router version 40.21.10.3 found.

When I click on Force Upgrade, the router recycles but I am left with the exact same results as noted above.

Is it time for a new router?

0 Likes
Re: Firmware for Actiontec M1424WR Rev I GigE
jonjones1
Legend

Yes it’s time for a new router.

you cannot update the router no matter what page you are reading.

verizon pushes out the firmware updates when they are ready for their branded routers. If you buy an Asus, or Netgear or TP-Link those makers allow customer updates.

0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks so much for that quick reply.

I am only moderately familiar with router hardware and am considering using my current Actiontec router in bridge mode and connecting it to a router which has a good reputation for playing nicely with Macs and gets good security ratings too.

Would you concur or suggest something else?

If you do, off on a hunt for such a router.

Again, many thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SpeedThree wrote:

Thanks so much for that quick reply.

I am only moderately familiar with router hardware and am considering using my current Actiontec router in bridge mode and connecting it to a router which has a good reputation for playing nicely with Macs and gets good security ratings too.

Would you concur or suggest something else?

If you do, off on a hunt for such a router.

Again, many thanks.

As I said get one of the routers I recommended to you in my last reply.

just make sure you release the dhcp on the old router first. You can do this via unplugging your old router for around 2 hours, you can call Verizon and have them release the dhcp, or follow the instructions in the actiontec routers manual in how to release dhcp. You must immediately unplug the actiontec after the release or it will grab dhcp again. 

After that simply attach the new router as your primary. from there you can set up the old router in ap mode if you want to use it for any other purpose. 

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link will assist you on your setup options.

0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

My apologies for not mentioning at the outset:  we have had FiOS for many years and our installation it the type where they ran COAX cable from the ONT to the router so I have to have a router with a COAX cable connecter, which is impossible to find.

That's why I considered using my present Actiontec in bridge mode and then getting an Asus, or Netgear or TP-Link as you suggested.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SpeedThree wrote:

My apologies for not mentioning at the outset:  we have had FiOS for many years and our installation it the type where they ran COAX cable from the ONT to the router so I have to have a router with a COAX cable connecter, which is impossible to find.

That's why I considered using my present Actiontec in bridge mode and then getting an Asus, or Netgear or TP-Link as you suggested.

Ah I was not aware of that. There are MOCA adapters you can get at Best Buy etc.

you could have the service switched over to ethernet by calling. But if your speeds are at 100/100 or below you may need a new ONT.

on internet only ethernet is the way to go.

0 Likes