Flaky DSL----STILL!
Flashmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello:

I don't know who to turn to at this point so I guess it's y'all.

We moved out to the country 15 yrs ago. We had dial up, which was awwwweful.   Then we got DSL.  I was elated!!  Well, that lasted about two years.  Roughly three years ago we took a lightning strike which took out the Verizon modem, the computer it was connected to, and (part of) the TV. Ever since, the internet has gone out. Poof. It used to be that it would go out when storms were coming, but now it's beyond that.  I've placed, maybe, 20 calls to India (a couple to Manila), which resulted in 6 new modems, three tech visits, and, several re-wirings in the house and out. I've been told that Verizon has re-wired the switch office near us, and I was told that a *major* trunk line a hundred miles away had been changed.

I've stopped calling India because, frankly, I know more going on than they do. I have a spreadsheet up to May, 2014 listing the many times it's gone out, which lights were on on the box, what I did, who I talked to, etc.  That spreadsheet is 6 pages long.  My tech has told me that India can't help anymore.  Supposedly Verizon has hired a "Technical Guru" who specializes in problems like mine, but he has no other information, nor any way of contacting anyone. 

So, I ask you all out here: ***What else can I do?*** I don't have a choice of services. It's have internet or not.  There's no one to write to. I can't stop paying my bills, but I don't have service 1/2 the day. Do any of you have any ideas???  Please???

(Oh.... tonight it's "working." It is taking 45-60sec for a page to refresh, and the TV internet stays up for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. I'm really frustrated.......)

Thanks for listening. 

Flashmom

0 Likes
Re: Flaky DSL----STILL!
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flashmom,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Flaky DSL --- Update
Flashmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Everyone:

More of my saga:  nothing new. I jumped through the hoops again: conversation with India (to be told that there was irregularities on the line); a voice mail saying the tech would be here at the scheduled time (which they never scheduled!); and today, someone from tech services called to ask if my line was okay.  I chuckled as I asked her if she read my file. She didn't sound really happy when I asked that! She told me mine line was fine when they tested it yesterday and again today.  As I continued to chuckle recapping my last two years, she became compassionate and thankful for my patience.

Here's the bottom line.  There is a problem with D-Link modems. Verizon can't do anything about it.  Evidently there *is* a known problem; there isn't a *fix* at this point; and it was in the hands of the manufacturers. I asked her if there is another modem we can have, and after 10 min on hold, she came back saying there wasn't.  She said the only thing we can do at this point is go reboot when it goes out.  Should I thank Verizon for the exercise I'm getting walking up and down the stairs so many times?

If any of y'all know anything, please pass it along.

Thanks

Flashmom

0 Likes
Re: Flaky DSL --- Update
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flashmom,

The support agents are still waiting for a response from you in your private support case.  Please keep all correspondence concerning your issue in the private area until your support case is closed or resolved.

0 Likes
Re: Flaky DSL----STILL!
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Due to multiple failed attempts to reach you we will be closing this private support case.

If you need further assistance with Verizon service feel free to send us another post.

Thank you,

^Matthew

0 Likes
Verizon deemed us unworthy
Flashmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello All:

I've been here before, nothing has changed since the last time---only slower (no) internet--Verizon says there is nothing more than they can do.  In order to get online, I have to tether with my phone.

To bring y'all up to date (quick and dirty): We took a lightning strike 3 years ago. We've had NON-STOP problems ever since. We've been told that switches were re-routed; 1/2 ringer removed; "twisted pairs" changed; Major trunk line to us was changed; and we've been through 8 routers (the last one *we* purchased on our own!)

A couple weeks ago when I called Tech Support, they opened a ticket and set up a tech visit. Because of our history, both of our 2 area techs and I are on "first name basis." So, when the one assigned to visit, he called instead to see what was up. We decided there wasn't any reason for him to come to the house, so he tweaked whatever at the hub and boosted our service.  He also told me that Verizon had been working on a new trunk line for the customers at this end of our county, and it was to be in service "after the first of the year."

I ended up calling the Business office this week to find out if and when that line would be in service. The man told me that Verizon was not going to be adding any new DSL equipment anywhere, BUT.... we will have FIOS!!  IN 2 TO 3 YEARS!!! So what do I do in the meantime?  

The reason I'm on here right now is I want to know what the actual TRUTH is.  We've been customers over 10 years. Our internet was fine until we took the strike. Since the strike, the best we could do is .8 down; .2 up.  (Oh... on one of the recent calls to India, I was told that our area had the 3M plan, and if we just upgraded to the 3M, we wouldn't have a problem.  WE CAN'T EVEN GET ***ONE*** MEG!!!  Then, he told me that with the 1M plan, we wouldn't be able to use Netflix---which we've had for over a year now!!)  

So, do we cancel Verizon? Netflix? Or is the local Service Tech telling me the truth that something is coming on line any day now?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Verizon deemed us unworthy
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flashmom,

We have reopened your Private Support Case. Please access your case through your profile page by following the instructions posted above. The support agents do not monitor the public boards and will need to hear from you in the Private Support area before they can begin assisting you.

0 Likes