Frequent DSL drops (picking up the phone reconnects)
evilpixills
Enthusiast - Level 1

First I'd like to say that this problem happened out of nowhere. I have had verizon dsl for 5+ years now and never ran into a wall as hard as this one. I have had a problem similar to this before with an older westell modem but was replaced with the westell 7500 which I am currently using.

I have been having this issue going on two weeks now. During that time period, verizon has sent two different techs out four times in a row. Every test they ran came back positive. I have replaced my phone jack, tried different filters, phone lines, replaced my main phone line coming from the NID to the jack as well as tried different phones, even had the dsl line only connected to the jack. The techs even tried setting up a separate jack for the dsl modem. They even sent me a new 7500 which I was sure would fix my issue but sadly the problem persists. The thing that is really odd and boggles my mind is that when service drops and the dsl light on the modem flashes, all I have to do is pick up my phone and magically the modem connects and I am back in business. Leaving the phone off the hook seems to be my only solution yet I have no idea what is causing this. Could there be an issue with my outside line? Hopefully someone can give me some information regarding my issue. Thanks.

Re: Frequent DSL drops (picking up the phone reconnects)
malicol75
Enthusiast - Level 1

What ended up being this cause of this issue. I am having the opposite problem. When the phone rings and I pick up the receiver, the internet light on the DSL modem goes out and I lose internet momentarily. It seems to recover but is intermittent as long as I am on the phone.

Re: Frequent DSL drops (picking up the phone reconnects)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any noice on your phone line while in a call? Often times this is a sign of a High Resistance Open, where picking up the phone causes the DSL to function properly. Often times a High Resistance Open is also associated with static or noise while in a call.

0 Likes