G1100 Router Locks Up
robnbill

My FIOS GS-1100 router ‘locks up'.  Primary symptom is the router is unable to issue IP addresses (192.x.x.x) - and, as a result, no device can connect to the internet - or talk locally on the netwrok.  Devices on the network started self-assigning (169.x.x.x) since they couldn't get to the router.  Verizon repalced the router it a few weeks back without question - although they were able to ping the router remotely.

IMMEDIATELY upon unplugging the ethernet connection from the Sony TV – every device went from a self-assigned IP to one assigned by the router – internt could again be accessed.

I had a suspicion that the TV might be causing the problem. Background: TV was rebooted, restarted, connections checked, etc. The network itself checks out.  Posts in the first quarter of this year indicated this had something to do with "Chromecast" on the Android TV OS.  A fix from Google was supposed to be forthcoming - it worked for some routers in February or so.  Apparently the router gets flooded with a large volume of "mDNS" requests - and it simply can't handle it.  The connection to the network from the TV is hard-wired Ethernet.

It happened again this morning - looking at the router logs around 4:00 AM.  Again, unplugging the ethernet connection from the TV cleared the router immediately.

Is there any way I can set the router to block these requests? 

Or, can I stop some service on the Android TV to stop it from flooding the router?

I don't use the "Smart TV" function for any fuction - I don't care if 'blocking' shuts some service down.

Additional background:  Not only was the TV rebooted - it was reinstalled as a clean system.  Router was rebooted too.  I think the router should be able to handle thse requests and not lock up.

FIOS G1100

Router Firmware:  02.00.01.08 (latest version)

Hardware Version:  1.04

TV: Sony XBR-65X900C

Firmware: PKG5.381.0167NAB from mid-March – the issue did not happen before this update - nor since we have had the TV.  It uses Android 7.0.

FIOS G1100

Router Firmware:  02.00.01.08 (latest version)

Hardware Version:  1.04

0 Likes
Re: G1100 Router Locks Up
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router can't handle this.
This is actually a type of denial of service attack.

Flood a router (or other dns server) with enough requests it gets too busy.

Esepcially if they are random requests.

DOes TV work ok via Internet?

Can you hard code ip/dns server?

If so, try changing DNS server to 8.8.8.8 for google.

Have you contacted Sony support?

0 Likes
robnbill

Agreed: 

This is actually a type of denial of service attack.

Flood a router (or other dns server) with enough requests it gets too busy.

Esepcially if they are random requests.

DOes TV work ok via Internet?  Yes

Can you hard code ip/dns server? I have tried this a number of times - doesn't work when hard coded - and set up as static.

If so, try changing DNS server to 8.8.8.8 for google.  Did this too

Have you contacted Sony support?  Yes - long story - talked to one of their "level 3" techs - had a nunber of suggestions which did not work.  He beacme a little snarky when I asked how to revert to the prior firmware - said no you can't change it.  It can be - they just don't want you doing it.

Thanks for your comments.

0 Likes
robnbill

Work Around for my Issue Found:

First - under these conditions: FIOS Quantum Gateway Router G1100, the updated (March) Sony firmware for their Android TV, and Using Wifi - The Router Will Lock Up

Work Around Found: Use WiFi - The router will NOT lock up.

Comment:  The firmware has the fault only when using ethernet (hard-wired) for a connection.  Sony, IMO, should warrant any firmware they update.  They do not.  Many router manufacturers have updated their routers to deal with the flood of request created by Android / Chromecast.  The G1100 apparently isn't one of them.

0 Likes