G1100 routers: Frontier vs Verizon does it make a difference?
KellyV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm searching for a G1100 router on Ebay so that I don't have pay Verizon $199 for a new one.  [FYI: I prefer to connect through coax so the router has to be  a G1100]  However, whenever I find a reasonably priced router it seems to be either a Frontier model or one loaded with Frontier firmware.  Are these Frontier routers compatible with Verizon Fios?

0 Likes
Re: G1100 routers: Frontier vs Verizon does it make a difference?
jonjones1
Legend

No they are not. People will try and tell you that they were originally Verizon Fios routers so when Frontier took the customers over in certain regions they flashed a new firmware to operate on their services. Look only for a Quantum Gateway G1100 branded only to Fios.

also be careful since some sellers are selling stolen Verizon Fios routers so even if they are branded to Verizon the attempt will trigger a lost or stolen router alert and you will not be able to use it, and lose your money. 

justanotheruser1

I bought a  frontier router for my TV/internet and it works fine.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@justanotheruser wrote:

I bought a  frontier router for my TV/internet and it works fine.

You do not get firmware and security updates on a Frontier flash router formally verizon. Apples to oranges. You can google the issues however it may work now, in future it’s anyone’s guess.

it would be like putting a chevy engine in a Chrysler vehicle, it may work but not as designed. Again the consensus on most forums is not to use a Frontier router on verizon fios. 

0 Likes