G3100+E3200 still useful if in a Spectrum-only home?
Crudler

We purchased our G3100 and E3200 a while back to avoid rental fees.

Naturally, karma has struck us and we might be moving farther out of town where there's only Spectrum.

If we do this, can we just connect the G3100 to the cable modem by ethernet?  And (assuming the splitters are good) can we just plug the E3200 into the coax network?  Or do these devices phone home and refuse to work if they can see they aren't talking to verizon machines?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100+E3200 still useful if in a Spectrum-only home?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Crudler wrote:

If we do this, can we just connect the G3100 to the cable modem by ethernet?

That should be is correct for that unit.

Here is/are a few of the thing(s) to be to be aware of:

#1 It will depend on the cable modem as certain cable modems are not just modems (read: Modem combo = modem and NAT router all-in-one).

#2 If not a modem combo then it matters the max number of CPEs. For example with my cable modem (non combo) with a max of two CPEs, it allows me to switch between two different NAT routers behind the modem without the need to reboot the cable modem between switching them. If my modem was set to only one CPE then that would mean that I would have to turn off the modem before disconnecting one NAT router and turn back the modem after the second NAT router gets connected to it.

#3 Verizon can only remotely upgrade the NAT router's firmware if it is on their network.

Perhaps you could download and install third party firmware on it? Because at some point security flaw(s) or other fixes or lastly new features will come out and Verizon will push the firmware to update and you will not able to get it/them once you are not on Verizon's network.

I do not what days and time of day the firmware is updated regarding Verizon firmware for their NAT routers. For example days but time unknown:  If you on a computer running Windows I know that the updates (and or features) come out every second Tuesday of the month.

@Crudler wrote:

And (assuming the splitters are good) can we just plug the E3200 into the coax network?  Or do these devices phone home and refuse to work if they can see they aren't talking to verizon machines?

I am not sure of that unit so someone else who knows more than I do, will have to help you.

[EDIT] #1 At least two problems to be aware of loading third party firmware.

a)If your NAT router is under warranty, you just voided your warranty by loading the third party firmware.

b) Regardless under warranty or not, if you do not do it carefully you will brick your NAT router. And by brick your NAT router, it will only work as a door stop with pretty lights (when powered up)- Please do not take this/that lightly.

#2 While I know the unit can be remotely upgraded on their network, unknown by me if that is limted/restricted to only FIOS or not. Ex perhaps it will work on Verizon DSL if that exist in the new area?

View solution in original post

Re: G3100+E3200 still useful if in a Spectrum-only home?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Crudler wrote:

If we do this, can we just connect the G3100 to the cable modem by ethernet?

That should be is correct for that unit.

Here is/are a few of the thing(s) to be to be aware of:

#1 It will depend on the cable modem as certain cable modems are not just modems (read: Modem combo = modem and NAT router all-in-one).

#2 If not a modem combo then it matters the max number of CPEs. For example with my cable modem (non combo) with a max of two CPEs, it allows me to switch between two different NAT routers behind the modem without the need to reboot the cable modem between switching them. If my modem was set to only one CPE then that would mean that I would have to turn off the modem before disconnecting one NAT router and turn back the modem after the second NAT router gets connected to it.

#3 Verizon can only remotely upgrade the NAT router's firmware if it is on their network.

Perhaps you could download and install third party firmware on it? Because at some point security flaw(s) or other fixes or lastly new features will come out and Verizon will push the firmware to update and you will not able to get it/them once you are not on Verizon's network.

I do not what days and time of day the firmware is updated regarding Verizon firmware for their NAT routers. For example days but time unknown:  If you on a computer running Windows I know that the updates (and or features) come out every second Tuesday of the month.

@Crudler wrote:

And (assuming the splitters are good) can we just plug the E3200 into the coax network?  Or do these devices phone home and refuse to work if they can see they aren't talking to verizon machines?

I am not sure of that unit so someone else who knows more than I do, will have to help you.

[EDIT] #1 At least two problems to be aware of loading third party firmware.

a)If your NAT router is under warranty, you just voided your warranty by loading the third party firmware.

b) Regardless under warranty or not, if you do not do it carefully you will brick your NAT router. And by brick your NAT router, it will only work as a door stop with pretty lights (when powered up)- Please do not take this/that lightly.

#2 While I know the unit can be remotely upgraded on their network, unknown by me if that is limted/restricted to only FIOS or not. Ex perhaps it will work on Verizon DSL if that exist in the new area?