G3100 ethernet ports capped at 100mbps
emitchell1

Hi all,

Just got FIOS installed today and it was bit challenging. My plan was to use my existing eero network + gigabit switches to serve my house. I found out that because we also got a TV package, a router was needed to supply data for some of the TV features. My core issue is that whatever I plug into the G3100, be it my macbook or the eero network, it shows up as Connected 100 Mbps Full-Duplex. I'm using Cat6 cables. I've tried to change it to auto or even 1000mbps but it just caps at 100mbps. The effect has been my entire eero network is now running slower than it was on Spectrum. I watched in horror as my kids TV show actually buffered today.

The Verizon Wifi on the G3100 is coming in at 500up/down so I know there's speed in the system. 

Does anyone have any ideas why it would be capped at 100mbps? Do you need more information? So far the Verizon phone support has been lacking and has centered around Cat6 cables not being able to carry gigabit, which I don't think is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: G3100 ethernet ports capped at 100mbps
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to make sure I understand the situation.

If you connect the 3100 to the ONT via ethernet cabling, devices connected to the router via WiFi receive full 500 Meg.

However, if devices are connected to any of the ethernet ports on the router, the devices connect at only 100 Meg. 

Is that close? 🤔

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would consider your Ethernet cable as well. Failure to negotiate gigabit speed can be due to cable or connector issues.

Even if you got 100Mbps, videos should not be buffering. An HD stream costs 3-5Mbps, unless you got 20 people streaming at the same, it should not be an issue.

emitchell1

Yes, that is correct!

0 Likes
emitchell1

I did try several cables, but all the same make, and brand new. Maybe I should try some new ones.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've run into instances where using shielded patch cords with unshielded cabling & hardware causes problems. Not sure if this is the situation here. 🤔

emitchell1

I'll also point out that when I plug my gigabit switch into the G3100, it appears as a 1000mbps connection. Yet when I plug anything into that switch, the speed remains capped. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

An unmanaged switch connects to the 3100 at 1000M, but, anything connected to the switch still tops out at 100M. 🤔

I'm an Android & Windows person, so I don't own any Apple products. Doesn't the MacBook require an external adapter to connect an ethernet cable? If so, is the adapter able to connect at 1000M? 🤔

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there someone (relative, friend or neighbor) who could bring a laptop computer over, connect it to the 3100 and see what happens? 🤔

emitchell1

Yes, I've tried two different laptops. Initially they would connect at 100mbps, but Verizon just remotely did a factory reset and now none of the ports will make a connection. No lights, nothing. 

0 Likes