G90-6100 modem setup
virshu

I got a new modem, G90-6100, and I am trying to set it up for what I think is fairly common scenarion. I have a VoIP adapter, one or two wired devices, and a wireless device. So, if it were a dumb modem, I would choose a wireless router, and that would be it. Unfortunately, Verizon modems are not dumb - and that seems to create a lot of problems. Earlier modem - C90-6100 - also had a built-in router, but I was able to put into Bridge (dumb) mode by following instructions here. G90 seems to be even smarter, and this means even more problematic.

However, the question to Verizon is what is your guidance? If I just put a router behind G90, my VoIP is not going to work due to double NAT issues that two routers inevitably produce. For now, I put a switch instead of a router; and therefore don't have wireless capability.

It looks somebody is struggling with the same issue on a similar (but not the same) modem. I can go into excruciating details of what I tried, and what the results were - but I would like to first hear from Verizon folks what I should have done!

0 Likes
Re: G90-6100 modem setup
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps it deals with the Walled Garden feature?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16040

0 Likes
virshu

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, no. As I was setting up the modem for the first time, I was instructed to visit that page; so the button says "Enable" now - rather than "disable"

In any event, as far as I understand, this Walled garden prevents users from connecting to internet... and I don't experience this problem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, I think I know of another way to get rid of double NAT and have the RJ-45 WAN port router handle the public IP.

#1 I saw the FAQ at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15883

#2 I looked around the screens of my Westell 6100F to see if I could see that same feature in my modem combo.

#3 My modem combo has that same feature. It is located at Firewall Settings -> DMZ.

Please see my screen shot

#4 I have to wonder if your modem combo also has that same feaure..

The reason my modem combo says WAN IP Not Connected, is because my modem combo is in bridge mode.

0 Likes
virshu

To avoid duplication, let's continue this discussion in one place.

0 Likes