Getting Speed Less Than Paid For
thatotherguy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I paid for the High Speed Internet Access, and it stated I was supposed to achieve 768 Kbps - 1 Mbps in connection speeds. The maximum speed that I've ever achieved with my connection is 130Kbps... That's an outrageous speed for what I'm supposed to be getting. Sharing 130Kbps with a family is constantly slow, especially on a busy day. I've used the HSI optimizer, but it just stated that because I have Windows 7, that it would optimize my connection for me so HSI Optimizer was no use.

Why am I getting such a slow rate?

Re: Getting Speed Less Than Paid For
SirRenitee
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you go to speedtest.com you will see you will get 1.0Mbps. Just like Hard Drives they like to advertise the bigger number and like to confuse people. You paid for 1Megabit per second or 1000 Kilobit per second. You are downloading at 130 KiloBytes per second. Two different unit of data. There is 8 bit in 1 Byte, therefore 1000 Kilobit = 125 KiloByte. Exactly what you are suppose to be getting.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The above post could stand true, if a speed test proves you are getting what you should be. Provide the results of a speedtest for us to see.

0 Likes
LionsMike
Enthusiast - Level 2

ALSO  with the 330 Kbps download speed,  I get a transfer rate of about 42 Kbps which is the 1/8 of my download speed

That transfer rate is the result of the data being sent and returned 3 time (6 trips) and checked to confirm that it has not changed

The 56K modems used to give anywhere from 2 Kbps to 7 Kbps transfer rate

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LionsMike wrote:

ALSO  with the 330 Kbps download speed,  I get a transfer rate of about 42 Kbps which is the 1/8 of my download speed

That transfer rate is the result of the data being sent and returned 3 time (6 trips) and checked to confirm that it has not changed

The 56K modems used to give anywhere from 2 Kbps to 7 Kbps transfer rate

Make another thread for us and we'll see what the deal is with the line. It could be a few issues causing the reduced speeds.

0 Likes