Gigabit Connection speed and access point speed
Coligreens

Hello,

I just upgraded to Gigabit connection speed and was wondering what speeds I should be getting on a speed test. Im using the speedtest app on my phone and getting around 300Mbps. It's a little slower on my computer. Is this right for  Gigabit Connection?

Secondly,

I have some access points connected to the router via ethernet. Since they upgraded me to the newer router, the speed going to the access points has dropped significantly. Is there a way to allocate more speed to accesspoints?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit Connection speed and access point speed
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you need the TP-Link APs?  The G3100 has pretty good range.

Try the Verizon speed test and see what it reports for the router.  This is a great way to tell if the router is getting the provisioned speed.  Just click on the link I posted before.

Since you're seeing the slower speed on the AP's, check their Ethernet link status.  The G3100 should have a page that shows you the link speed.  I know it's lights can be a bit "funky."  Or check the lights on your APs.

If you confirm gigabit Ethernet links all around and the Verizon speed test shows gigabit to the G3100, then look at WiFi settings on the router and AP.  They might be stepping on each other.  But focus on confirming all the wired links first, otherwise you're debugging on quicksand.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi speeds can vary a lot.  300Mbps over WiFi is reasonable for most devices.  To get faster, you need WiFi-6 routers and devices.  You didn't mention what models of router and APs you have; they may not be capable of super fast speeds.  Even if they are, there are lots of factors that slow down WiFi links.

For best results, run a speed test using a device plugged into one of the router's Ethernet ports.  Use Verizon's speed test.  It will test the speed both to the Verizon router and to the device.  This can help identify problems.   If the router speed test is poor, Verizon support can see the results and may be able to fix the issue.  Of course, you can use other speed tests sites, but Verizon support does not care about their results.

Make sure your access points are negotiating a 1,000Mbps Ethernet link speed.  You can see this on status lights or in the device's control panels.  Check the router, too.  If you find the link is running at 100Mbps, you'll have found the problem.

Coligreens

The access points I'm using are:

TP-Link AC1750

Connectivity TechnologyWi-Fi
BrandTP-Link
Control MethodVoice
Frequency Band ClassDual-Band
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1/10, MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or LinuxMicrosoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1/10, MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux 
Wireless Type802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ac, 802.11g
Security ProtocolWEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK
Number of Ports5
LAN Port BandwidthGigabit
Data Transfer Rate1750 Megabits Per Second

I have 3 of them all hardwired with cat6 to the Verizon G3100 router. I don't have anything that I can hardwire directly to do a speed test. My laptops have no E-port. 

Now I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I wired my own Ethernet with blue cat6 cable. I used T568A wiring. I know they have the same termination on both ends. Im not sure what the ethernet cable is coming in from the fiber optics bok in my garage to my router. A technician set that up. If he made the cable T568B not T568A could that cause this issue? Or is the TP Link router the bottleneck?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Coligreens wrote:

The access points I'm using are:

TP-Link AC1750

Wireless Type802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ac, 802.11g

Yeah, your TP Link is the bottleneck. 802.11ac is WiFi 5, caps around 400Mbps for 2 x 2 MIMO, the configuration your phone typically has. 802.11ac is a 7-year-old technology, and it should not be used in newer installations. I am not sure of the source of your TP-Link, I would return them and buy some up-to-date gears. If you want a plug and play solution, then buy a few E3200 ($200 each). They are all tri-band access points have a simultaneous throughput of 1400Mbps.

If you have WiFi 6 capable devices, you need a WiFi 6 router (802.11ax). G3100 is a WiFi 6 router, you should pull around 900Mbps on 2 x 2 MIMO WiFi 6 client (such as an IPhone SE (2020) or an IPhone 12).

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you check the Ethernet link speed?  Ethernet MACs auto-negotiate the speed.  They can select 100Mbps or 1,000Mbps based on what they see on the cable.  T658A vs B might trigger a 100Mbps connection.

You can check the link speed by looking at the link status lights near the Ethernet port.  Or, you can check from the device's UI.  If you have a Verizon router, you can observe link speeds in the "port configuration" menu in the advanced section.  I'm not sure of the exact location on the G3100, but if you can't find it post here and some else will likely tell you where it is.

You really need a baseline wired speed test to figure out what is going on.  Can you run the Verizon speed test  (https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/)?  It will test the speed over the Ethernet from the G3100, not WiFi.  Another option is to see if you can get a USB to Ethernet adapter for one of your laptops.

Note there is nothing wrong with 802.11ac (a.k.a. WiFi-5).  It works fine, it's just slower than WiFi-6.  It also costs A LOT less than WiFi-6 right now.  Many people find 300-400Mbps WiFi fast enough for everything.  If you really need faster WiFi speeds, you'll need to spend the money for WiFi-6 AP's or only use the G3100's WiFi.

Coligreens

Thanks for the information. The only Wifi6 devices we have at the moment are our 2 work computers Apple M1 Mini's and our phones but I'm sure as things age they will be replaced with newer devices that are capable

0 Likes
Coligreens

gs0b

Ill look into T658A vs B. Ill make some test cables.

Ill check out the port configuration tonight.

None of my laptops have an ethernet port so I will have to get a gigabit USB to ethernet adaptor.

I am totally fine with 300/400mbps but ever since the new Verizon router, my TP Link AP's are only giving me 80/90mbps. I might they out a new router that was suggested above to see if that  solves anything but I'm going to try out the cable configuration first.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you need the TP-Link APs?  The G3100 has pretty good range.

Try the Verizon speed test and see what it reports for the router.  This is a great way to tell if the router is getting the provisioned speed.  Just click on the link I posted before.

Since you're seeing the slower speed on the AP's, check their Ethernet link status.  The G3100 should have a page that shows you the link speed.  I know it's lights can be a bit "funky."  Or check the lights on your APs.

If you confirm gigabit Ethernet links all around and the Verizon speed test shows gigabit to the G3100, then look at WiFi settings on the router and AP.  They might be stepping on each other.  But focus on confirming all the wired links first, otherwise you're debugging on quicksand.