Gigabit Internet using COAX from ONT
JamesWong
Enthusiast - Level 2

5 years ago I was told that I cannot go faster than 150mbps in my house due to COAX. My house has ethernet and coaxial cables in nearly every room BUT all of the cables go to a box is located in the middle of a large finished basement and it is only COAX from that box to the ONT. Is it still true today that without using an ethernet cable, I will not be able to get gigabit speeds through coaxial cable? Fishing ethernet cable through ceiling joists and walls from the ONT to the network box is not an option. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit Internet using COAX from ONT
JamesWong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank You all for your help. It turns out that my tech from nearly 6 years ago did not try hard enough. My recent tech found 2 ethernet lines in the breaker closet that's under the ONT that lead to the network box so I have gigabit internet now and didn't have to break any walls open. 

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Full Internet speed requires a connection to the ethernet jack on the ONT. Use of converters is one option.

Is there space to locate coaxial to ethernet converters (MoCA to ethernet) at the ONT and maybe in the centrally located box in the basement? 🤔

JamesWong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. I am using a MoCA router at the network box. And yes, there is space I think to put in a converter. Btw, I just realized that I have a wall outlet with an ethernet port about 12 feet away on an adjacent wall to the ONT wall. I think the tech can use that to go from the ONT to the network box and then I could add a router/switch. I can hide the cable under the baseboard.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although Ethernet Coax Bridges (ECBs) would work in your situation, they would add a 3ms ping and capped the speed at 2500Mbps unidirectional. Given multigigabit Fios likely up to 10G is coming in the future, the use of ECBs is not the optimal solution. If you can extend the fiber to the basement, that would likely solve the cabling issue.

MoCA 3.0 is capable of 10G, but currently no chipset manufacturer is willing to invest in the silicon development. I believe MoCA 2.5 would be the fastest and the last MoCA version we will see.

JamesWong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank You all for your help. It turns out that my tech from nearly 6 years ago did not try hard enough. My recent tech found 2 ethernet lines in the breaker closet that's under the ONT that lead to the network box so I have gigabit internet now and didn't have to break any walls open.