Gigabit connection very slow
Nick2017fios

Hello Fios friends.

I recently "upgraded" from optimum to verizon fios 1 gigabit connection and purchased the verizon router. The installation was great and the tech was amazing.

After he left I checked my wifi speeds and i was getting 90Mbps, got closer to the router 120Mbps. Connected with a Cat5e cable and got 180Mbps. Changed the wire coming in from the ONT to router and still the same. The connection on the 5Ghz is about 130-150Mbps and on 2.4ghz its around 50Mbps...

After calling support several times, they said that my router is getting 940Mbps down and 980Mbps up and there is nothing they can do. They suggested switching the router.

Now, realistically we all know switching the router wont help because  I made sure its not the router by hooking up my ont to an 1Gbit adapter and it gave me same results..

About my pc: Just upgraded to a 1Gbit internet card, Intel i7 6700, 16 GB memory, and mother board supports 1Gbit wired connection.

Now my question is what do i do now where my speeds are not even close to what their supposed to be...

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit connection very slow
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

The above link is the only test Verizon will accept.

when you had gigabyte installed the tech would have went to that test site and verified the speeds. By your post you stated Verizon Support stated you were getting the up to speeds 940/880+ 

you are also speaking of wifi speeds in most of your post 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz which depending on the devices used will get at best case half of connected speeds or way less. Your laptop or computer must be directly connected to the FiOS Quantum Gateway lan port to run the test I gave a link to.

even tablets and desktop or laptops will not achieve the up to speeds of 940/880 but may come close.

the speeds are or exceed what you are paying for. WiFi is not direct ethernet connected, which is all Fios accepts. Forget any WiFi speeds. It’s not measured that way.

Nick2017fios

I tried a direct connection with a wire and still getting only like 180 down. Im not asking for 980 on wifi but if im only getting 24 mbps on wifi (2.4ghz) and 130  (5.0ghz) which is absolutely absurd. What my router is getting doesn't help me because i am not getting anything even NEAR what i bought. I literally have one device on the connection. If you really think these are "OK" speeds then that's a load of **bleep**.

Right now i am getting better results and a more pleasant connection from Optimum than I am getting from Verizon Fios which has to not make any sense.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Nick2017fios wrote:

I tried a direct connection with a wire and still getting only like 180 down. Im not asking for 980 on wifi but if im only getting 24 mbps on wifi (2.4ghz) and 130  (5.0ghz) which is absolutely absurd. What my router is getting doesn't help me because i am not getting anything even NEAR what i bought. I literally have one device on the connection. If you really think these are "OK" speeds then that's a load of **bleep**.

Right now i am getting better results and a more pleasant connection from Optimum than I am getting from Verizon Fios which has to not make any sense.

You are still trying device speeds. Albeit your own post states you are getting the advertise speeds to the router which you state you don’t care about.

Device speeds under WiFi don’t matter a hill of beans to me. I use WiFi on most of our devices and as I posted a few times this week the speeds from Fios servers to my home are what I am paying for. 

I am not going to keep complaining about WiFi connection speeds with Fios.

if the cable internet was better then go back to it. Posting how much better it is on a Fios forum is not going to sway anyone. 

0 Likes
emotpix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since we switched from the lower speed to the higher gigabit speed, we have noticed it being SLOWER than it was previously.  While speed does improve using a direct connection, it is nowhere near what we were getting previously.  And as for wifi? Forget about it.  The quantum routers are terrible.  We've had two switched out and still it's not improving.  Both TVs are directly connected to ethernet and we are seeing an issue there as well when watching netflix and other streaming services.  And Verizon customer service is a joke.  The first tech who came for the install had no clue, and an hour after he left we lost all ethernet.  New tech came two days later and managed to address it, including giving us a new router.  But we still have the issue.  We're going to try the Eero system and see whether that improves speed, but if one of the other providers comes out with Gigabit, we are probably going to make the switch.  Have been a customer of FIOs for over 10 years, and anytime there is a problem, it is quite literally hours of my time dealing with untrained techs and horribly phone support.  

0 Likes
Mekoch

Same problem here. Problem is at the point of ONT output, router output and further out of network. I’ve given up hoping for higher speeds and accepted lower speeds. 

0 Likes
whyfiossoslow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh no, I was hoping for good news at the end of this thread!  I'm having similar problems.  Hard-wired pc into G-1100 router gives great Verizon speed test results (hits server about 3 miles away) but terrible results using SpeedTest.  I spent hours with support team recently and the resolution was to send me a replacement router.  It seems marginally better sometimes, but the wifi is still abysmal.  15 second ping times and dropped connections...  What's worse, everyone around here says TW/Spectrum is worse!

Reference:

Verizon test 82/96

SpeedTest: 5/58

0 Likes
sir_vjam

I second that Nick.  i only getting tlike 300Mbps on a good day. Why pay extra when with cable i was getting the advertised 500Mbps. Iam very disspaointed with my service.  

0 Likes
sir_vjam

I heard from the Verizon Tech that they should have some type of high sppend switch bu there too expensive so they chnage the ONT to achive that. I had a nice small ONT on the side of my house now the new ONT is twice the size.  I understand the connection over wi-fil means nothing, its the connection to the router that matters and using the Verizon Speed test iam getting what they promised. But WHY IS EVERYTHING SLOWER.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@sir_vjamwrote:

I second that Nick.  i only getting tlike 300Mbps on a good day. Why pay extra when with cable i was getting the advertised 500Mbps. Iam very disspaointed with my service.  

With cable you were getting 500 Mbps? What cable company was that. Where I reside it is 25/1, 100/2, 200/3 and 300/5 

to be honest when I had 15/1 with Time Warner it was fast enough.  And because a device connects to the router at 300/500/-/+ the complaints abound.

on a direct connection of your system via ethernet to the router and testing to Verizon’s servers you are getting the advertised up to price.

if anyone feels this is paying too much for so called lower speeds. I would drop down to lower speeds and pay less. 

0 Likes