Gigabit fake Internet Speed (10 Times)
nivas4u2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have subscribed to Gigabit intenet plan with verizon router (fios quantum gateway AC1750) purchased from them. Initially checked speed results from Verizon website and it came out around 950 Mbps and I was so happy 🙂

But when i use laptop to connect work or watching any live steaming sites then speed was awful, so I decided to check speed results again in different websites and results are shocking. Verizon speeds are 10 Times more than other websites, all tests are with LAN connection in windows laptop.

1) http://speedtest.xfinity.com          

Download 93.83 Mbps / Upload 108.81 Mbps

2) http://speedtest.googlefiber.net   

Download 94.10 Mbps / Upload 98.40 Mbps

3) http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6536466791

Download 94.59 Mbps / Upload 95.28 Mbps

4) https://fast.com/

Download 95 Mbps

5) https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/routertest.aspx

Download 946.54Mbps / Upload 700.16Mbps 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit fake Internet Speed (10 Times)
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

Verizon will tell you there is no issue to be corrected.

Verizon (like most other providers) only guarantees access to their network.

That is why they require you to test to their server.

Once you meet the subscribed speed to their server, they have met their requirement.

Issues to other speedtest sites may or may not be their issue.

True in that only the proprietary server is recognized when tech support is needed.

the other issue is many customers use routers not of Fios design for a better word.

however as a customer you must realize their support personnel cannot possibly know all the settings to have it function speed wise on their network.

there is however issue with this no support or speeds to the residence as being looked at by the FCC as well as States Attorney Generals offices. But for now the approved Quantum Gateway is what is necessary for speed tests.  This is why cable companies have the use of customer modems/routers under their approved devices lists.

Verizon Fios should do the same if not for limited routers. But who knows.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Yes the numbers are squed. Verizon's speedtest is a closed proprietary server. Not the usual ones that have direct connection issues such as congestion and slow downs and loss hops, unreachable sites and the assorted other issues wit true speed tests.

However Verizon only accepts their own numbers from their own server. 

I have had the funny tech service call after I upped to gigabyte of having the guy tell me that "what am I complaining about? You had 15/1 with Time Warner Cable, and 150/150 with fios and now because it is 770/640 you complain"?

I pointed out I pay for 1024/1024 before limitations of the devices of 940/880 and not 50% less than that.

But fios engineer's did up my speed to around 920/770 so I am happy with the speed since I never use that much.

0 Likes
nivas4u2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey thanks for your reply. Could you please share more details about how the engineer resolved issue ? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nivas4u2 wrote:

Hey thanks for your reply. Could you please share more details about how the engineer resolved issue ? 

I called at 8 am EDT to Verizon tech support and got this wonderful lady from the Virginia call center I think she said. She first tested the speed and confirmed their was an issue. She then reset the ont and the like and the speeds were worst. She then noted I was to have engineering look at the issue, she said the engineering department corrected the issue on Saturday and now it was Monday. She was texting or emailing the engineer who said it was a provision issue and it would be up shortly.

the speed was brought up to where it belongs and has been solid ever since.

call and ask for the situation to be looked into. Be persistent 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once you meet the subscribed speed to their server, they have met their requirement.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

True in that only the proprietary server is recognized when tech support is needed.

the other issue is many customers use routers not of Fios design for a better word.

however as a customer you must realize their support personnel cannot possibly know all the settings to have it function speed wise on their network.

there is however issue with this no support or speeds to the residence as being looked at by the FCC as well as States Attorney Generals offices. But for now the approved Quantum Gateway is what is necessary for speed tests.  This is why cable companies have the use of customer modems/routers under their approved devices lists.

Verizon Fios should do the same if not for limited routers. But who knows.

OtisRose

I signed up for a Gigabit internet package with verizon router here it's very secure

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes