Gigabit internet slow wifi
rainergrimme

I recently upgraded to the gigabit plan for home internet.  Wired I get around 550 down but the wifi is much slower.  I understand wifi will not be as fast but I'm testing at under 70 down right next to the router.  The up speed in these same tests was above 90.  In other parts of the house I am testing below 40 down.  Is this normal for fios gigabit wifi?  Are there ways to at least get my wifi above 100 down.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit internet slow wifi
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your devices are most likely connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID. If are using the Verizon router login and turn off SON and rename the 5 GHz SSID to something unique.

Go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off.

If your are using a personal router then just connect to the 5 GHz SSID. The 5 GHz will give you considerably faster speed but less range. The 2.4 will give better range but less speed. 

Also keep in mind that the gigabit connection is for bandwidth sharing not for any one device to be getting gigabit as it is completely overkill. You only need 25 mbps to stream 4K video. 

rainergrimme

I am already on the 5g network and the network is shared between 4 people who all have multiple devices.  However, no other people were on the network at the time of the test.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If under 70 on 5 GHz that in not normal. If getting 550 on wired you should be getting closer to 400 on 5 GHz. Have you tried multiple speed test sites and different servers? What devices are you using to test?