Gigabit internet
Rdrozario

I just switched it fios today. They said i have fios gigabit connection but I’m having 90mbps/88mbps. Like **bleep** I’m getting 1/10 of what I’m paying for. Does anyone know what’s the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit internet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you measuring?

Are you using Verizon router or your own?

If using Verizon, you can start with speedtest from it.

Or if using your own, use a hardwired device and run to speedtest.verizon.net

If the router test does not give acceptable results, then use those results to contact support.

If rotuer test passes (or if you don't have verizon router) and this test doesn't pass, its possible it is your PC. There are a number of threads in this forum where people have found that either hardware or driver issues limit their speeds.

If hardwired works but wifi doesn't, it could be wifi issue.

Most providers will not guarantee speeds vi wifi as too many factors can affect it.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rdrozario wrote:

I just switched it fios today. They said i have fios gigabit connection but I’m having 90mbps/88mbps. Like **bleep** I’m getting 1/10 of what I’m paying for. Does anyone know what’s the issue.

The installer should have tested the connected speed from your router to Verizon’s proprietary network. The issue may be the service was either not provisioned yet (give it a day) or you did not go and turn off all your devices and restarted them one by one.

if the router was used previously on cable then you must reset it via the reset button on it before it is used for Fios internet.

You also must make sure the ethernet connections are solid and not cut, frayed, or crimped. Sometimes when they staple the ethernet it gets pierced and that will affect your connection speed.

call 1-800-VERIZON and have them do a reset.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

90Mbps down, 88Mbps up is almost as if there's 100Mbps Ethernet somewhere in the mix.

Is your router / ONT indicating a Gigabit link? Does your router use Ethernet between the ONT and itself? Are you testing from Wi-Fi or Wired? If Wired, does the computer or router show a 100Mbps or 1Gbps link to your PC?

Finally, has ALL Anti-virus been temporarily disabled, or at least the network scanning components? Many A/V suites have network traffic scanning components which will significantly slow down your Internet connection. Even fast computers will have trouble getting above 400Mbps.

0 Likes