Going ONT> managed switch>personnel router
GT31

Hi,

I currently have Fios gigabit internet. I have fiberoptic entering my house and going to the ONT,  ethernet is coming out of the ONT and going to the Vz router. 

I want to change it so the ethernet from the ONT goes to a managed switch and from their:

-1 main router (not VZ)

-booster

-time capsule

-PC x2

-printer

My main concern is not goin through the Vz router. Please let me know if you have question...

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Going ONT> managed switch>personnel router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.  This will not work.

You need to go ONT to Router to Managed switch.   The switch needs to be connected to the LAN side of the router and the ONT to the WAN port.

If you switch supports VLANs, then you could do this with two separate VLANs and two connections to the router (the router doesn’t support tagging).   

if the above sounds like Greek to you, then this is a job for a professional if you want to do that.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only get one WAN IP on a residential service. Just connect your non-Verizon router to the ONT and connected you router to the switch then the switch to your devices. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.  This will not work.

You need to go ONT to Router to Managed switch.   The switch needs to be connected to the LAN side of the router and the ONT to the WAN port.

If you switch supports VLANs, then you could do this with two separate VLANs and two connections to the router (the router doesn’t support tagging).   

if the above sounds like Greek to you, then this is a job for a professional if you want to do that.

SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

I am actually going down the vlan route. I have a switch configured with two ports, one for the connection from the ONT and one from the WAN NIC of my firewall. These ports are in vlan 99 and are untagged. In this config I do not get the DHCP IP from the ONT. Does Verizon pass specific vlan info, that I need to account for?

0 Likes