Google Nest/ with Quantum Gateway
Nick28281

So I have gig speed internet set up thru a quantum gateway router(1750) and I just purchased Google Nest Wifi.  I don't have TV or phone service just the internet.  I game alot and still want to use the hard wire ethernet ports on the back of my quantum router. I also have a Nintendo switch, which I know I'm going to have to find a work around for double natting.  Whats the best way to avoid double natting?  Is it as simply as just disabling wifi thru settings on the verizon router or is there more to it?  Or is what I want to do impossible?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Nest/ with Quantum Gateway
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s surprising, the tech specs say dual gigabit ethernet ports. I’m not totally familiar with Google Nest, but there may be some Qos settings limiting the wired speed to under 500 mbps. 
Unfortunately to get rid of the double NAT you need to have only one router. And the Nest can be setup in AP mode if more that one. Anything connected to the G1100 won’t be affected by the double NAT. Only wireless devices connected to the Nest. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don’t want to double NAT then just ditch the G1100. Disconnect the ethernet WAN from the G1100 and connect to the Nest’s WAN. Connect the Nest’s LAN to a cheap 5 port gigabit ethernet switch so you can hardwire your devices. 

Nick28281

Probably not the best option.  the ethernet ports on the nest have been reporting speeds of only 400gbs direct connected.  My router is doing 980down/850up.  Any other fixes.  I'm familiar with bridging an port forwarding.  All I need to know is if the double nat effect is going happen to my hardwired devices?  I do a lot of streaming in 4k.  Happy with the hard wire.  Wifi just blows throughout the house.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s surprising, the tech specs say dual gigabit ethernet ports. I’m not totally familiar with Google Nest, but there may be some Qos settings limiting the wired speed to under 500 mbps. 
Unfortunately to get rid of the double NAT you need to have only one router. And the Nest can be setup in AP mode if more that one. Anything connected to the G1100 won’t be affected by the double NAT. Only wireless devices connected to the Nest.