Guest Network access to printer
jlg21
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm new to the G3100 router management page.  I assume creating a guest network creates a new subnet.  How do I configure the mask so that the Wi-Fi-connected printer in my home is seen on both subnets?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Guest Network access to printer
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jlg2 wrote:

I assume creating a guest network creates a new subnet. 

A guest network does create a new network segment.

@jlg2 wrote:

How do I configure the mask so that the Wi-Fi-connected printer in my home is seen on both subnets?

This is a little ambiguous question. Where are you configuring the subnet mask? On the printer's NIC, clients' NICs, or in the static routing rule?

Reducing the subnet mask on devices' NICs won't work because the Guest Network is layer 2 isolated from the rest of the home network.

Adding a static routing rule in the Network (Home/Office) won't work because the Guest Network is layer 3 isolated from the rest of the home network.

What you want is limited inter-VLAN routing, which is not supported by the firmware.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't.  The point of a guest network is to isolate devices so they can only access the internet.  It's more than just a separate subnet.  The router prevents devices on the guest network from sending packets to each other.

There maybe other solutions that involve a non-Verizon router, but it likely needs to be a commercial grade router.  Others here may offer some additional guidance.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jlg2 wrote:

I assume creating a guest network creates a new subnet. 

A guest network does create a new network segment.

@jlg2 wrote:

How do I configure the mask so that the Wi-Fi-connected printer in my home is seen on both subnets?

This is a little ambiguous question. Where are you configuring the subnet mask? On the printer's NIC, clients' NICs, or in the static routing rule?

Reducing the subnet mask on devices' NICs won't work because the Guest Network is layer 2 isolated from the rest of the home network.

Adding a static routing rule in the Network (Home/Office) won't work because the Guest Network is layer 3 isolated from the rest of the home network.

What you want is limited inter-VLAN routing, which is not supported by the firmware.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

There maybe other solutions that involve a non-Verizon router, but it likely needs to be a commercial grade router. 

I agree.