HBO Now... for desktop?
RandyRenk
Enthusiast - Level 1

They say: "All you need is internet."  But no, you have to go to the itunes store, create an account, give them a credit card, and download their free app.

Which then only works (apparently) on an iphone or ipad.  

So frustrating!!!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HBO Now... for desktop?
RandyRenk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ha!  I thought someone deleted my question.  Instead, it looks like they moved it to a Fios forum even though I can't get Fios and it's about my Verizon DSL service.  Oh well.  🙂

The fact is, despite what "they" say (which yes,anyone can find by using google), it is not available for signing up on your desktop.  You HAVE to have an iphone or ipad, so you can download the app, and sign up for an account.  This is VERIZON specific, because it applies to Verizon customers who have to enter the HBO Now site as such. 

I finally went to my sister's house and used her ipad.  I was able to register for my HBO account, and can now watch it on my desktop and laptop computers at home.  It's ridiculous.

One poster mentione using an android device instead.  I didn't know about that from reading the lousy instructions, so thank you.  Unfortunately all I got for those efforts were the notice that "This app is incompatable with your device" even though it should have been.  I tried downloaing the app from both the Google Play store as well as Amazon, but neither one worked.  I have a Fire HD, which "they" say is on the list of devices that should work.

My advice?  Borrow an ipad like I did and use it to sign in. It's extremely simple, but it has to be an ipad or iphone.  Either that, or just stay away from Verizon's offer to add HBO Now to your account! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google is your friend.

According to this link, you can watch HBO Now on your desktop:

http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/11

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@RandyRenk wrote:

They say: "All you need is internet."  But no, you have to go to the itunes store, create an account, give them a credit card, and download their free app.

Which then only works (apparently) on an iphone or ipad.  

So frustrating!!!

HBO Now was Apple exclusive for a while, but it hasn't been for several months. You can sign up through a few different services (including the Google Play store, if you're more of an Android person), and you can watch it on almost any device now. (Including Roku, which they just announced a couple days ago.)

PJL
Master - Level 3

HBO Now is available "on the desktop" using IE 10+, Vista, +Safari 7+, Firefox 31+, Mac OS 10.6+, and Chrome 37+ per the HBO Now web site.  There is no app required, just a browser.

I'm curious why you're asking this question in the forum.

0 Likes
EJRW
Contributor - Level 1

I'm curious, is there any free content? 

Thanks, Eric

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

HBO Now is a way to watch HBO (which is a premium pay service) without cable service.

RandyRenk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ha!  I thought someone deleted my question.  Instead, it looks like they moved it to a Fios forum even though I can't get Fios and it's about my Verizon DSL service.  Oh well.  🙂

The fact is, despite what "they" say (which yes,anyone can find by using google), it is not available for signing up on your desktop.  You HAVE to have an iphone or ipad, so you can download the app, and sign up for an account.  This is VERIZON specific, because it applies to Verizon customers who have to enter the HBO Now site as such. 

I finally went to my sister's house and used her ipad.  I was able to register for my HBO account, and can now watch it on my desktop and laptop computers at home.  It's ridiculous.

One poster mentione using an android device instead.  I didn't know about that from reading the lousy instructions, so thank you.  Unfortunately all I got for those efforts were the notice that "This app is incompatable with your device" even though it should have been.  I tried downloaing the app from both the Google Play store as well as Amazon, but neither one worked.  I have a Fire HD, which "they" say is on the list of devices that should work.

My advice?  Borrow an ipad like I did and use it to sign in. It's extremely simple, but it has to be an ipad or iphone.  Either that, or just stay away from Verizon's offer to add HBO Now to your account! 

0 Likes