HELP: Fios with Prewired ethernet
Nikk2

My house has prewired ethernet ports at multiple levels and a wireless access point installed in the ceiling as well as part of a package from the builder & Guardian Home Technologies. I was told that verizon would have their BOX in the garage which would then feed Guardians BOX in the hvac room. I am assuming this box has an 8 port switch that feeds the rest of the wall ports in the house. My questions - 

1. Do I still the quantum gateway router? If so, where would that be placed? Is it between the verizon box and the guardian box?

2. I know someone who has a similar setup in the neighborhood and is having issues as only one of the ethernet port in their house works at a time (something to do with multiple IPs not being assigned)

is there anything that I should make the verizon tech aware of during installation so as to avoid such issues?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HELP: Fios with Prewired ethernet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need a router with FIOS service.

If you don't have FIOS TV service with their STBs, you can use any rotuer you wish. Just need to make sure they provision Internet access via ethernet.

Router then goes between the ONT (Verizon box) and the switch in the guardian box.

If you also have TV service with STBs, it is best to use Verizon router. Will need to connect it via Coax as well so that it can feed guide and VOD data to them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this helps to answer a lot of your questions

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/getting-started/setup-services

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need a router with FIOS service.

If you don't have FIOS TV service with their STBs, you can use any rotuer you wish. Just need to make sure they provision Internet access via ethernet.

Router then goes between the ONT (Verizon box) and the switch in the guardian box.

If you also have TV service with STBs, it is best to use Verizon router. Will need to connect it via Coax as well so that it can feed guide and VOD data to them.

0 Likes