HELP PLEASE! Fiber Optic Cable Only Inside Home, no Ethernet or Coax ports in walls!!
DesperatelyNeed

Help! I just moved into a house. We have an ONT outside and only a fiber optic cable inside coming up through the floor. The person who lived here before us definitely had a Verizon Account. I have no way of connecting this cable to the self installation kit router I received. No one in Verizon customer service believes me that I only have a fiber optic cable inside. Can someone help me connect my fiber optic cable to my router? I feel like I am missing something here!!

0 Likes
Re: HELP PLEASE! Fiber Optic Cable Only Inside Home, no Ethernet or Coax ports in walls!!
jonjones1
Legend

A fiber optic cable coming inside? The fiber optic cable goes into the Optical Network Terminal (ont) which is then made live. From the ont they use cat 5e or 6 ethernet cable to the verizon router that is in the apartment or home. After the router receives the signal it is then active. You can then wireless or hard wired to a LAN port for connection.

if you had tv installed there would have been a coaxial cable hooked into your verizon router as well. So the ethernet line is actually what you see. Are you sure your home has a ONT? 

0 Likes
Re: HELP PLEASE! Fiber Optic Cable Only Inside Home, no Ethernet or Coax ports in walls!!
charlyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe they had the ONT inside in the past and moved outside later. I have mine in a closet in my basement so the fiber goes into the house. Is the outside ONT active?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

That could be possible. However if the self install kit was sent it must be listing the residence as having a ont already there. Would the previous occupant take the ont with them? If so then verizon would have sent one of the newer desk ONT’s to the customer with the router. Strange indeed 

0 Likes