HSI speeds that are "Acceptable"
magikninja333

so i order HSI. i got it. i was told i would get 3.0 mbs down ...as the guy was hooking it up he said it was only setup for 1.5mb....i was fine with that. the modem status read 1792/448 ....anyway after i called they put it up to 3mbs. 2 weeks later i realized they had given me phone service and backup that i did not want. so i canceled it all except the net.

now today it just went down for over 2 hours (i guess switching the service around) and its back down to 1792/448. so i called i was told that even though i was told i have 3mbs (which my plan is still for 3mbs) 1792 is "acceptable" because its over half the service speed.....

does anyone else think this doesnt make any sense? how is just 200k more than 1.5 be acceptable as a higher tier of speed?

0 Likes
Re: HSI speeds that are "Acceptable"
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you were holding 3360/864 without issue they should set you back to 3Mbps. Removing phone service does not warrant speed being taken away. Ask them to set it back. If they won't shoot me a PM.

Also on a second note, the modems are provisioned higher than the actual speed in order to make up for overhead associated with the protocols DSL uses.

0 Likes
magikninja333

thank you for the response. i was hoping that i didnt get downgraded because of me taking my phone service off. but the guy on the phone told me 1.7 is "in his terms an "acceptable" speed for the 3 mb service. and to check back tomorrow to see what it is then

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not the rep's terms unfortuantely for deciding acceptable speeds. He's following what other companies follow for policies, which is what the say a speed tier is supposed to run to. Now, a drop from 7.1Mbps to 1.5Mbps is unacceptable, but for many telephone companies a drop from a bread and butter speed to half a bread and butter but still the same thing ( 😄 ) is seen as acceptable. What is not acceptable is if speeds can go higher for the same package based on line conditions and modifying an unrelated service causes a speed reduction.

The rep might have simply seen the system saying 1.5Mbps is your speed, and checking your sync rates saw you were at 1.5Mbps. It's always important to check a person's statistics though to see if they can go higher while being within the same speed package. Whether or not they do that is one question, and whether or not they can tell a customer they can do more or set them higher without them getting in trouble for violating a policy is another. Phone support is a tricky field to enter when you have to consider human morales and battle it against company policy.

0 Likes
magikninja333

just to update. i called verizon again today...and they said it was fine for the first five minutes. then said well what os do you have...i said why...they said cause we want to remote connect and check some settings. i got alittle mad and told them my computer had nothing to do with it, its their end with the problem. the phone went silent for about 2 mins. the person came back and said yeah i see something wrong here we will look into it over tonight and call you back tomorrow.

so now i am playing the waiting game i guess.

0 Likes