Have I Exceeded the Maximum Moca Connections - Moca 101 Question
wsr203
Enthusiast - Level 3

Greetings:

I have 10 STBs with Moca connections. I understand that the maximum number of Moca connections on a network is 16.

My question for the community is as follows. In addition to my 10 STBs...

Does the following count as a distinct Moca connection:

• My G3100 router from the ONT
  • My G3200 wifi extender
  • My 3 separate Verizon network adapters (models ECB5240M with a total of 6 separate ethernet connections among the 3 adapters)

The final question is whether or not the different ethernet connections to the G3100, G3200 and the ECB5240Ms count as distinct Moca connections?

Thanks for your help!!!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Have I Exceeded the Maximum Moca Connections - Moca 101 Question
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any device with a MoCA interface counts as a MoCA node. Then yes, G3100, E3200, and ECB5240Ms are MoCA nodes. Ethernet/WiFi devices connected off the aforementioned devices are not MoCA nodes.

Those ECB5240Ms are MoCA 2.0 Bonded and they can reside on another independent MoCA network. A separate MoCA network gives you another 16 nodes to consume. When you plug in the G3100 and E3200. The story changes. Since they are MoCA 2.5 devices, which use the entire D band spectrum, no separate MoCA network can be configured when they are on the same coaxial network.

imageMoCA Independent Networks

The STBs are MoCA 1.1, I believe. So they only occupy a single MoCA channel.

I hope my previous paragraphs are not confusing.  To summarize, to establish two independent networks on a coaxial line, G3100 and E3200 cannot be connected.

I recommend you to buy a WCB3000N for less than $20 to build the Independent Network #1 on the diagram. WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1, so it only occupies a single channel. Adjust the WCB3000N's channel to D1 to feed the STBs. STBs are hard-coded to D1 channel, which cannot be adjusted. Don't use WCB3000N for anything else because it is capped at 175Mbps, but more than enough for 10 STBs.

Then, find a way to route an Ethernet cable to one of your ECB5240M. Adjust all ECB5240M's channel to D5 to establish the Independent Network #2 on the diagram. ECB5240M is capable of gigabit with each other. Regarding the G3100 and E3200, I am not sure whether you can return those. Since we are not using its MoCA 2.5, it is kind of wasting its talent. 

View solution in original post

Re: Have I Exceeded the Maximum Moca Connections - Moca 101 Question
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any device with a MoCA interface counts as a MoCA node. Then yes, G3100, E3200, and ECB5240Ms are MoCA nodes. Ethernet/WiFi devices connected off the aforementioned devices are not MoCA nodes.

Those ECB5240Ms are MoCA 2.0 Bonded and they can reside on another independent MoCA network. A separate MoCA network gives you another 16 nodes to consume. When you plug in the G3100 and E3200. The story changes. Since they are MoCA 2.5 devices, which use the entire D band spectrum, no separate MoCA network can be configured when they are on the same coaxial network.

imageMoCA Independent Networks

The STBs are MoCA 1.1, I believe. So they only occupy a single MoCA channel.

I hope my previous paragraphs are not confusing.  To summarize, to establish two independent networks on a coaxial line, G3100 and E3200 cannot be connected.

I recommend you to buy a WCB3000N for less than $20 to build the Independent Network #1 on the diagram. WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1, so it only occupies a single channel. Adjust the WCB3000N's channel to D1 to feed the STBs. STBs are hard-coded to D1 channel, which cannot be adjusted. Don't use WCB3000N for anything else because it is capped at 175Mbps, but more than enough for 10 STBs.

Then, find a way to route an Ethernet cable to one of your ECB5240M. Adjust all ECB5240M's channel to D5 to establish the Independent Network #2 on the diagram. ECB5240M is capable of gigabit with each other. Regarding the G3100 and E3200, I am not sure whether you can return those. Since we are not using its MoCA 2.5, it is kind of wasting its talent.