Help reducing ping on FIOS MDU (VDSL)
ms02910

I currently have Verizon FIOS internet, although I live in an apartment which does internet connections via VDSL (it is a MDU / multi-dwelling unit). This means that I pay the same for lower speeds (I pay same price for 30/5 as others pay for 50/25 or even better). My main problem is not with the speeds, but is instead with my pings. Because of the VDSL setup within the apartment, this seems to add approximately 20-30ms on to what a "real" FIOS connection would be. I have read that changing the VDSL mode from "interleaved" to "fastpath" would decrease this ping degradation.

Has anyone in an MDU had success requesting a change in the VDSL modem's mode? Since the run is so short, there doesn't seem to be a need for "interleaved" mode, as it is mainly used for error correction on less reliable and longer "true" DSL runs. 

Is the mode already turned to "fastpath" on the MDU VDSL modem? I highly doubt it.

My main problem is trying to escalate the request to a support rep that knows MDU setups / VDSL. Also, it is hard to get Verizon to "care" about the extra 10-20ms. It does seem small, but it makes a huge difference in games like Quake :p. 

I'm overall satisfied with Verizon, and the support has not been "bad," it just seems hard to find the correct person to talk to for my situation, which is admittedly a rare one. Thanks for any help / suggestions

0 Likes
Re: Help reducing ping on FIOS MDU (VDSL)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Going to be pretty hard pressed to find someone who can set the VDSL/VDSL2 circuit to FastPath. Most providers I know of don't ever use FastPath on VDSL, and most ADSL providers are shying away from the use of FastPath.

If you do manage to get someone in the Fiber Solutions Center to adjust this setting, please let us know.