High Speed DSL fast during day, very slow at night
IamTheTool

Download speeds from approximately 7:00am to 5:00pm are fast - 6.51 to 6.74 Mbps.  But, the download speeds are very slow from approximately 5:00pm to 7:00am - 0.03 to 3.66 Mbps.  (Data collected over the last three days.)

DSL had been working just fine for years.  This problem began about two weeks ago.

My neighbors are experiencing the same problem.  Verizon has scheduled a repair team to visit me in 2 days.

Any guesses as to what the solution will be (other than switching to Xfinity cable internet)?

0 Likes
Re: High Speed DSL fast during day, very slow at night
Thomas_B1

I am having the exact same problem.  Last night I was trying to watch a streaming video movie, and it would not load.  I called their customer support number and talked to an agent.  The agent said he could see that my bandwidth was only 160 Kbps, and then it dropped out altogether. 

This morning, I ran a speed test and got an average speed of 921 after three tests.  Still a little slow compared to a couple of weeks ago, but acceptable.

I'm using a Westell model 7500. 

0 Likes
IamTheTool

I'm also using the Westell 7500 but, because that has been working just fine for some years here in central coast California, I don't think the router is the problem.  Last night was a little better than the last two weeks, but still not satisfactory.  Now, at 7:24am, everything is working just fine - 6.52 Mbps or higher everytime I run a speed test.   I'll let you know if a solution is found.

0 Likes
IamTheTool

Verizon technician visited today.  Ran some tests.  Everything tested great at 10:00am.  Looked at my speed test data (hundreds of tests over four days using speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ) which, summarized, showed that my download speeds were a constant 6.50+ Mbps from 7:00am to 5:00pm but showed very slow speeds (0.nn to 3.nn Mbps - mostly 0.nn and 1.nn Mbps) from 5:00pm to 7:00am.

The technician stated they were getting a lot of these type of complaints - slow speeds at night.  His explanation is that everyone, adults and kids, gets home at night and uses the internet.  However, he agreed with me that that does not explain the very slow speeds very late at night/early morning from 1:00am to 7:00am.

He called the central office.  They said there was just too much traffic at night for their equipment.  They have listed (requested?) more equipment.  But that takes time.

So....it looks like I'm stuck (actually it's my wife who is stuck!) with slow speeds at night.  Or, she will be investigating switching over to Comcast Xfinity internet cable.

Verizon service has been excellent over the years and I would like to stay with them.  But, these low speeds at night are unexceptable.

Anyone have any other ideas? 

0 Likes
IamTheTool

Uh,...that would be unacceptable!

0 Likes
Just_tired

Greetings;

After reading your post and a few others it seems the only option for some of us is to switch from verizon to another service.  My problem is close to yours my line was good for 6 months then became unstable when connecting to certain areas.  I am on the east coast, but when I connect to sites on the west coast in your general area I experience a drop from 10 and a half Mps to about 2 to 3 Mps.  Have tested this by doing speed test on different servers on west coast and the problem is very much in selected areas, all other surrounding areas are fine.  My line speed and line quality are within acceptable use on many west coast areas, but some in San Francisco and surrounding areas it drops to a level that is unusable.  I have given up getting help from this forum, to many trolls that ask for information (traces and speedtest) then ignore the results or attempt to give useless information on so called help.  Good luck, maybe verizon will invest some money on equipment upgrades in your area when they begin losing customers.

Many of the problems here on line speed and high ping rates are due to verizon not being able to support the service they promise at sign up in some areas that are in need of updated equipment.  If they really want our business now would be a good time to start updating their older equipment.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To ALL who posted in this thread who need help:

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
Kessb7190

Unfortunately,  if if I wanted to switch I couldn't because there is nothing else available.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes