High Speed DSL through Westell 6100 Modem to Linksys Wireless Router internet problem
Norgoth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I have done several searches and have seen several answers, so to avoid my continuing to confuse myself I wish to ask these question:

I have a fine internet connection through the wired link with the 6100 modem. I am attempting to connect my linksys wireless router to the 6100 to have wireless throughout the house. I have seen several explainations about how to set the modem and the router, specifically to the point of bridging the modem and setting the linksys to PPPoE and the inputting the username and password. My questions are as follows:

Is Bridging the modem and setting the linksys router to PPPoE the correct procedure? I have the red and black interface on the modem configuration pages.

If the answer is no, what are the correct procedures to get it to work

If the answer is yes, the linksys router asks for a username and password(I am not referring to the username and password to get to the linksys configuration page), but I am referring to the setup page when you change the type of connection from the default dhcp to the PPPoE. What username and password should I input? Do I input the username and password that I use on the My Verizon website? If not, I have no idea what username and password to input.

Also, I do know that at one time the connection between the modem and linksys was working and the ip address of the linksys was 192.168.1.1 as well as was the ip address for the configuration page of the Westell. My son came home for a few days and messed the whole thing up, dont ask me how.

I am technically savvy enough to follow your instructions well, but not enough to figure this stuff out for myself.

Thank you so much, John

Re: High Speed DSL through Westell 6100 Modem to Linksys Wireless Router internet problem
Norgoth
Enthusiast - Level 1

One more question: How do I know if Verizon is using DHCP or PPPoE in my area: East Hampton, NY?

I called Verizon and they said East Hampton is PPPoE. So please ignore this question specifically.

0 Likes
Re: High Speed DSL through Westell 6100 Modem to Linksys Wireless Router internet problem
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If I understand you correctly, the PPPoE username/password is your Verizon username/password.

What normally happens is that your Linksys router will have the 192.168.1.1 address and will dispense IP addresses to your equipment inside your house (wired and wireless). The Westell modem (in bridge mode) will have a different address. The Linksys performs the login to the Verizon network on your behalf.

The Westell and Linksys should not share the same address.

Razz037
Enthusiast - Level 3

Give the linksys IP an address of 192.168.2.1 because the Westell modem will need 192.168.1.1